Topics

APRS Messenger v3.54 released

Chris Moulding

I've just uploaded v3.54 to the web page.

This version has two bug fixes, one in the GPS beaconing routine and the other removing the "ghost" transmissions. These were the PTT keying routine for use with the UZ7HO soundmodem keying up with other modes.

Any user intending to use APRS Messenger in a mobile environment with GPS should update to the new version.

The web page is:

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/aprs_messenger.htm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the new version of APRS Messenger.
I have been running it here since shortly after release.
Ran it for 6 hours and only decoded one beacon from VK5AKJ-63 even though the nighttime path on 40m is solid.
Restarted it and have only decoded one beacon in 90 mins.
Sending beacons is still working fine.
In the last version (3.53) it would last about 24 hours before decoding stopped. I'm thinking of rolling back.

Cheers,
Gerard - VK2IO

On 19 April 2018 at 17:48, Chris Moulding <chrism@...> wrote:
I've just uploaded v3.54 to the web page.

This version has two bug fixes, one in the GPS beaconing routine and the other removing the "ghost" transmissions. These were the PTT keying routine for use with the UZ7HO soundmodem keying up with other modes.

Any user intending to use APRS Messenger in a mobile environment with GPS should update to the new version.

The web page is:

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/aprs_messenger.htm

I've set up a receive igate (G4HYG-3) at my workshop using v3.54 and UZ7HO soundmodem so I'll see if I can replicate what you are seeing. It's within ground wave range of my home station so it's good for testing without propagation adding extra complexities.

There were no changes to the decoding in v3.54 so I'll see what happens.

An update, Chris.
Overnight decoded just two beacons sent in PSK63 even though dozens were sent.
This morning am receiving plenty of MFSK16 posits from VK3YY-12 using a QRP tracker. No restart has been done here in between.

Anecdotally, we've noted in the past that decoding can stop for one mode and continue in another mode until a restart.
Traffic levels are low here and propagation is always variable so YMMV.
Conclusion: This version's a keeper.

73, Gerard - VK2IO

On 20 April 2018 at 04:10, Chris Moulding <chrism@...> wrote:
I've set up a receive igate (G4HYG-3) at my workshop using v3.54 and UZ7HO soundmodem so I'll see if I can replicate what you are seeing. It's within ground wave range of my home station so it's good for testing without propagation adding extra complexities.

There were no changes to the decoding in v3.54 so I'll see what happens.

When strong packets are being missed it's worth clicking on the "View receivers" click box to open the window showing the raw data received by the software receivers. I often see packets lost by a momentary fade just at the wrong time.

The program also keeps one receiver on the mode being transmitted to monitor the transmitted signal so if you are having trouble decoding PSK-63 beacons try changing your transmit mode to PSK-63 and see if that helps by adding an extra receiver for PSK-63.

That explains why I'm having trouble decoding PSK63 when I'm beaconing on MFSK16 - lack of decoders.
I think there might be a slight frequency difference which wouldn't help if there is only one decoder.
Bringing up the "View receivers" panel I can see fades causing a loss of decode in the middle..

Somehow I had always thought that choosing the Transmit mode would not affect the range of receivers so that frequency diversity was retained for all modes.
The UZ7HO Soundmodem has a user option for choosing the number of receivers and their separation which could be emulated. Providing full diversity in all modes may be too big a CPU burden so providing choice may allow APRS Messenger to operate on a wider range of platforms. Being able to disable modes like GMSK-250 might be useful too..

I've now disabled the Rx notches in case they harm decoding. That may reduce the CPU load a little.

Cheers,
Gerard - VK2IO