Topics

APRS Messenger v2.26

"g4hyg" <chrism@...>

Hi,

I've uploaded APRS Messenger version v2.26 to the file section.

This has many changes over the last version v1.86 released.

The biggest change is that APRS over PSK-63 has been added. This has been tried before with an add-on to UI-View but that had problems sending packets with errors to the APRS-IS system. I've added a strong checksum to each packet and each received packet is checked as correct before being sent to the internet. The display will show all packets received even with errors so that weak signals can be read manually. A frequency hopping routine has been added to the PSK-63 receiver to allow rapid signal acquisition over a +/- 50 Hz range. A Tune option allows the operator to send a carrier + 150 Hz in frequency to avoid interference to other APRS signals.

The program comes in three versions with different PSK-63 audio tone frequencies, 700, 1300 and 2100 Hz.

The second change is the addition of a receive only Igate. All HF or VHF packets received can be sent to the APRS-IS. If the connection to the APRS server is lost it automatically retries 1 minute later.

The third change is that the program can now be loaded on all versions of Microsoft Windows from Win 95 up. It's smaller than before and at 1.06 Mb will fit on a floppy disc.

All areas of the program have been improved and tested.

Future developments will include a GPS option for mobile HF tracking.

Of course it still works with the APRS TNC Digi Tracker or other serial TNC's and you can run it as a HF and VHF APRS Igate.

If you want to try the APRS over PSK-63 on HF I'm running an Igate on 10.1497 MHz. Set your receiver to a dial frequency of 10.1476 MHz USB with the 2.1 kHz version.

For the last few weeks I've been testing it on air on 10.1497 MHz with Ross G6GVI, Jack G8HIK and Ian G0CTO and we've found most of the bugs. It's also demonstrated the performance of PSK-63 as a mode even with interference. Thanks for all the tests!

If other group members try it let us know what you think.

I'll also put the program on the website on Thursday after demonstrating at a RAYNET meeting on Wednesday.

73,

Chris, G4HYG

"Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...>

g4hyg wrote:
I've uploaded APRS Messenger version v2.26 to the file section.
I downloaded and installed the 2.1khz version on Windows 7. It is running fine with the waterfall and sinewave displays reflecting what I'd expect to see. When it first activated, I told it I don't have either a TNC or other Comm port. Once it's running, what should I expect to see?

The second change is the addition of a receive only Igate. All HF or VHF packets received can be sent to the APRS-IS. If the connection to the APRS server is lost it automatically retries 1 minute later.
I'd like to run it in monitor mode for a while before turning it loose on the APRS-IS, but where does it get MyCall from when I'm ready to do that?

If you want to try the APRS over PSK-63 on HF I'm running an Igate on 10.1497 MHz. Set your receiver to a dial frequency of 10.1476 MHz USB with the 2.1 kHz version.
I'm glad to see this is the same dial frequency as 30m APRS. I've got AGWPEpro running and am doing a receive-only IGate from there via my APRSIS32 client as KJ4ERJ-1. I can see the 300baud APRS packets on the APRS Messenger waterfall and then see the decoded packet in my AGWMonitor as well as in my client window.

If/when I hear something on PSK-63, where will it show up in the various panes of APRS Messenger? I believe I heard a packet or two, and saw disturbances on the waterfall just over 2000, but nothing changed in any of the other panes.

Also, what should I be seeing as far as that black bargraph's height to assist in tuning the volume level of my audio feed.

For the last few weeks I've been testing it on air on 10.1497 MHz with Ross G6GVI, Jack G8HIK and Ian G0CTO and we've found most of the bugs. It's also demonstrated the performance of PSK-63 as a mode even with interference. Thanks for all the tests!
In your tested, are you transmitting PSK-63 beacons, or just interactive messages? I'll keep the client running overnight and see what's here in the morning.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Palm Bay, FL USA

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
I'd like to run it in monitor mode for a while before turning it loose on the APRS-IS, but where does it get MyCall from when I'm ready to do that?
I did finally notice the "My callsign:" box, but what's the difference between the blue background and the yellow background. I (possibly foolishly) assumed that the yellow was input and the blue was output, until I saw that My callsign was blue.

Also, any chance of listening on a TCP Port for other software to connect to the program as if it were a KISS or TEXT mode TNC? That way other clients (like mine) can receive and transmit over PSK-63 without having to increase the UI features of APRS Messenger.

We can discuss that request here on the list or via private messages, or just ignore it and I won't bring it up again (at least, not for a while).

"g4hyg" <chrism@...>

Hi Lynn,

Good to see that you've downloaded the program and it's working with Windows 7.

I downloaded and installed the 2.1khz version on Windows 7. It is
running fine with the waterfall and sinewave displays reflecting what
I'd expect to see. When it first activated, I told it I don't have
either a TNC or other Comm port. Once it's running, what should I
expect to see?
When HF or VHF traffic is received it will be displayed in the top two blue boxes. When a message addressed to your call is received the white message box will turn yellow as a visual alert.

I'd like to run it in monitor mode for a while before turning it loose
on the APRS-IS, but where does it get MyCall from when I'm ready to do that?
Enter your callsign in the "My callsign:" box and your passcode in the "Passcode" box.

If/when I hear something on PSK-63, where will it show up in the various
panes of APRS Messenger?
See above reply.

I believe I heard a packet or two, and saw
disturbances on the waterfall just over 2000, but nothing changed in any
of the other panes.
OK, I'm beaconing every 10 minutes at the moment.

Also, what should I be seeing as far as that black bargraph's height to
assist in tuning the volume level of my audio feed.
The bargraph displays the received quality of the incoming signal. The PSK receiver has it's own AGC and will only display a message regarding high audio level when it is too high.

In your tested, are you transmitting PSK-63 beacons, or just interactive
messages? I'll keep the client running overnight and see what's here in
the morning.
In the past I've worked into the eastern states of the USA with this transmit setup on 30m PSK-31 and PSK-63. At this time of night the disturbances you see in the waterfall may well be my beacon from north west England.

73,

Chris G4HYG

"g4hyg" <chrism@...>

Hi Lynn,

I did finally notice the "My callsign:" box, but what's the difference
between the blue background and the yellow background. I (possibly
foolishly) assumed that the yellow was input and the blue was output,
until I saw that My callsign was blue.
OK, the colours change as a visual alert when a message addressed to your callsign is received.

Also, any chance of listening on a TCP Port for other software to
connect to the program as if it were a KISS or TEXT mode TNC? That way
other clients (like mine) can receive and transmit over PSK-63 without
having to increase the UI features of APRS Messenger.
I think that it would be possible to do that and I'm sure that we can work together to make it work.

We can discuss that request here on the list or via private messages, or
just ignore it and I won't bring it up again (at least, not for a while).
We can discuss that.

g4hyg wrote:
In the past I've worked into the eastern states of the USA with this transmit setup on 30m PSK-31 and PSK-63. At this time of night the disturbances you see in the waterfall may well be my beacon from north west England.
I captured a screen shot of the waterfall with one of the "disturbances" I noted. Does that look like PSK-63? I know there's a 300baud APRS signal in that wide yellow band below 2000.

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net/APRSMsg1.gif

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Still learning what various signals "look" like

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
g4hyg wrote:

If you want to try the APRS over PSK-63 on HF I'm running an Igate on 10.1497 MHz. Set your receiver to a dial frequency of 10.1476 MHz USB with the 2.1 kHz version.
I'm glad to see this is the same dial frequency as 30m APRS. I've got AGWPEpro running and am doing a receive-only IGate from there via my APRSIS32 client as KJ4ERJ-1. I can see the 300baud APRS packets on the APRS Messenger waterfall and then see the decoded packet in my AGWMonitor as well as in my client window.
No packets copied through the night, but then I suspect 30m conditions closed up as I didn't receive any other APRS between 1:05am and 6:30am this morning (Eastern, 6:05-11:30 UTC).

I did tune my radio over to 20m PSK31/63 frequencies this morning and copied some characters in the HF traffic window. That answered my question
as to whether only valid packets showed up there or if all decodes showed up there. Given that what is there looks nothing like a packet, it must show all decodes. ("dete ooa� t� n otM 6,tde aRS 3 a to�y").

Since I keep the radio tuned to 10.147.600 USB for 30m APRS anyway, and since APRS Messenger (2.1khz) uses a different frequency offset than my 300baud KAM tones, I'll just keep it open until a) I need to reboot, b) it gets in the way, or c) I actually copy something!

Here's hoping to "see" you on the airwaves!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Palm Bay, FL USA - APRS Messenger monitoring on 10.147.600 USB

"g4hyg" <chrism@...>

I've uploaded your screenshot to the photos section. I've also added a screenshot of a packet message and an ack from G0GRX-10 to show the transmit signal and a received signal.

I'm not sure what the signal is that you spotted but it's not PSK-63!

73,

Chris, G4HYG

--- In cross_country_wireless@..., "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

g4hyg wrote:
In the past I've worked into the eastern states of the USA with this
transmit setup on 30m PSK-31 and PSK-63. At this time of night the
disturbances you see in the waterfall may well be my beacon from north
west England.
I captured a screen shot of the waterfall with one of the "disturbances"
I noted. Does that look like PSK-63? I know there's a 300baud APRS
signal in that wide yellow band below 2000.

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net/APRSMsg1.gif

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Still learning what various signals "look" like

"g4hyg" <chrism@...>

OK Lynn,

I'll put the program on the CCW website on Thursday and then announce it on the APRSSIG mailing list so with any luck you may see someone in the US trying it out over the weekend.

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
g4hyg wrote:

[...]

it must show all decodes. ("dete ooaº tÌ n otM 6,tde aRS 3 a to‚y").

Since I keep the radio tuned to 10.147.600 USB for 30m APRS anyway, and
since APRS Messenger (2.1khz) uses a different frequency offset than my
300baud KAM tones, I'll just keep it open until a) I need to reboot, b)
it gets in the way, or c) I actually copy something!

Here's hoping to "see" you on the airwaves!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Palm Bay, FL USA - APRS Messenger monitoring on
10.147.600 USB

"Howard" <hdrw@...>

Chris,

I loaded this up for a quick look (didn't try it on-air) and a couple of points emerge:

1. I run Skype on the relevant machine, and with Messenger running when someone called me Skype reported "Microphone problem" and disconnected the call. I had to shut down Messenger to be able to use Skype, so I guess you're "grabbing" the microphone, even when it's in VHF/TNC mode? Any chance of changing this? Further, what happens if there is more than one sound "card", such as a Signalink or other USB-connected sound device as well as the built-in one? Can you choose which one Messenger uses?

2. The message windows are even smaller then they were before and I reckon they were too small before! :-) I only see about 4 lines of messages at once. The whole frame only takes up half the height of my screen (running at 1400x1050) so it would be really nice if the whole frame and the individual windows were resizeable - is that possible? That way I could grow the ones I'm using and shrink the ones I'm not (I don't do HF so the waterfall isn't much use to me at the moment) to give the largest number of messages visible at once without scrolling.

Apart from those, it's looking jolly good - Keep up the Good Work! :-)

Incidentally, which mode should I be in to see all passing APRS traffic without getting involved? In APRS Messaging mode it seems to not show other traffic, whereas in TNC Command mode it does - is that what you'd expect? (It's possible that there happened to be no readable traffic when I was in APRS Messaging mode, but it's a bit unlikely).

73,

Howard, G1BYY

"g4hyg" <chrism@...>

Howard,

The program used the "default" soundcard. I know that it's possible in some versions of Windows to select which soundcard appears as default to certain programs.

Changing the size of the message windows is something I will look at. It's already been suggested during testing.

All VHF and HF traffic should appear in the two upper windows. The operating mode has no effect on what is displayed so it must have been a coincidence.

Thanks for the kind comments! I've been at it since Christmas as it seemed a nice project when we were snowed in!

73,

Chris, G4HYG

--- In cross_country_wireless@..., "Howard" <hdrw@...> wrote:

[...]

"M3LOM" <paul-m3lom@...>

Keep up the good work Chris. I have not played with messenger yet but would
echo Howards point on the sound card selection. I have a signalink usb that
appears as another soundcard but I'm not sure how this would interact with
messenger.

BTW I posted a 'simpletons' message on the national raynet forum regarding
the difference between aprs and raynet mode. Wonder if you could answer
there for a wider audience to the reply. Plus will messenger work with a
Tinytrak4?

<<<<<<<APRS on events thread>>>>>>>>
Chris

As one who is relatively new to APRS and data comms generally, can you
explain briefly the difference between APRS and RAYNET mode?

I looked for a help file but may have missed it.

Hopefully messenger will work with my TT4?

Regards

Paul
M0LOM
<<<<<<<APRS on events thread>>>>>>>>

Cheers
Paul
M0LOM

--- In cross_country_wireless@..., "g4hyg" <chrism@...> wrote:

Howard,

The program used the "default" soundcard. I know that it's possible in some versions of Windows to select which soundcard appears as default to certain programs.
OK, that might be a problem, because as I understand it the default soundcard is where the System Sounds (beeps and boings etc) are sent - you don't really want to transmit those! Is is feasible to allow a selection of the card to use when there's more than one? And it would be handy if it didn't grab any card at all when it's in VHF/TNC mode.

Changing the size of the message windows is something I will look at. It's already been suggested during testing.
Great!

All VHF and HF traffic should appear in the two upper windows. The operating mode has no effect on what is displayed so it must have been a coincidence.
Right - just my luck! :)

Thanks for the kind comments! I've been at it since Christmas as it seemed a nice project when we were snowed in!
I had all sorts of projects planned for the holiday season - none of them happened :(

73,

Howard, G1BYY