Topics

APRS Messenger on Ubuntu PC

John Corby

I have just recently started using APRS Messenger and have quickly grown to really appreciate the program. I have loaded the software on two machines: my home QTH computer running 64-bit Ubuntu and a laptop running 32-bit Ubuntu. The program installs and runs easily using Wine.

One observation for anybody else running a Linux OS: the selection boxes for the tx and rx sound devices have only one option - Pulseaudio. I opened pavucontrol (Pulse Audio Volume Control) to select the appropriate sound card and set the levels. Pavucontrol is a graphical user interface that is very easy to use.

My laptop will be used for posting position and status reports during my summer travels and will not be connected to the Internet most of the time. I noticed on my home computer that, when connected to aprs-is, just as many stations are often heard via aprs-is as come in over RF. Hopefully more RF users will get on-board in time.

Many thanks to the developers for this program. I had lost interest in VHF AX-25 based APRS but HF APRS opens up new possibilities.

Best 73 de John, VA3KOT, EN93

WA8LMF

On 4/15/2018 5:25 PM, John Corby wrote:
[...]

_._,_._,_

What part of VE3 are you going to?      My 30M APRS igate/webserver runs 24/7 from central Michigan (Lansing area) on both Messenger digi modes, and on classic 300-baud AX.25 HF packet.

I routinely copy 30M APRS stations from eastern VE3 (Ottawa area), VE2,  and the maritimes.    Given my location and the usual 300-odd mile skip zone on 30M, I usually don't hear western Ontario (Toronto, London, etc).   However if you go far enough north (beyond Sault Ste Marie) I should be able to igate and pass messages from/to you.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
   <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

John Corby

Heading north through Sault Ste Marie and on to VE7 land.

On 4/15/2018 9:09 PM, John Corby wrote:
Heading north through Sault Ste Marie and on to VE7 land.

Perfect!   You should have prime coverage and two-way messaging from my igate starting about in Sudbury, ON.    There is also a 30-meter regular that I see frequently in Winnipeg.  He does classic AX.25 300-baud packet, but I don't know if he does Messenger digimodes.

[NOTE:  Since the standard frequencies for classic AX.25 and APRS Messenger modes are only 300 Hz apart, both can be received at the same time in a receiver passband 800 Hz or wider.  As a result, many stations, including mine,  are now monitoring and igating both modes at the same time.]

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
   <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

John Corby

I'll be QRP/MFSK into either a base-loaded vertical or an end-fed wire but I'm going to give it a try at each stop along the way. Another reason to look forward to the trip, thanks!

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018, 21:26 WA8LMF via Groups.Io <wa8lmf=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Greg_M6ORT

I am thinking of putting something together for M0BPQ to run at GB2GP using a RaspPi, Rasbian, and a x86 emulator plus WINE as RX only due to the complications around NoVs for TX on unattended setups in the UK.  M0BPQ already has the hardware.  I am encouraged you've got this running nicely under Ubuntu.  If my HF setup were better I'd think about running a Fedora setup at home in RX only mode.
73 de Greg
M6ORT

Wade Anthony

Hi Greg - sorry for the zombie comment here - did you ever get it working on Raspberry Pi??

VK1MIC

Greg_M6ORT

Hi,
Was away at a conference so not yet.
However, I will be giving it a go this weekend if I can or next week.
I'll post any findings here.
73 de Greg
M6ORT