Topics

Antenna rotators for loop antenna

Jimmy Schmig <clover65721@...>

Drink all you want! Then go to best buy! Ha!

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 5:29 AM, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ
<tom@...> wrote:

Just to add a different slant (pun intended – sorry!) to this, I’ve got a PTZ camera on its way from China, combined with an order for a nanoVNA. I thought I could use the camera mount to point and tilt a loop antenna. I have a cylindrical box from a bottle of single malt (another hobby) and I intend to wind a coil or coils around this and see what happens. Somewhere around there is a formula involving coil diameter, size of wire, number of turns and impedance which I will have to find. If it turns out the tube’s diameter is wrong, I’ll just have to buy other bottles until I get it right! This could affect getting the number of turns correct…

Tom G6PZZ

From: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io <CrossCountryWireless@groups.io> On Behalf Of Martin - G8JNJ via Groups.Io
Sent: 04 December 2019 12:18
To: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CrossCountryWireless] Antenna rotators for loop antennas

Hi Chris,

A cheaper option for control is to buy a USB to RS485 dongle and use one of the many free PTZ controller apps for the PC (or write your own).

Here's a couple of examples

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WINGONEER-USB-485-Converter-Adapter-Window-1/dp/B016IG6X7I/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=usb+to+rs485+cable&qid=1575461769&sr=8-8

https://download.cnet.com/PTZ-Controller/3000-2653_4-10810761.html

It could perhaps also be used for satellite tracking with a lightweight beam.

Sounds like a good project :-)

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ