VLF/LF/HF Active Vertical Antenna...5 kHz to 30 MHz Discontinued!

Robert, VA3ROM

Just had a look at the CCW website to buy another VLF/LF/HF active vertical antenna and much to my shock and dismay it was in the discontinued list!!

Sales drives survival so I'm guessing that it wasn't worthwhile cost wise to keep this outstanding performing antenna viable.

Any antenna that can survive in Canada's brutal winters, snow and ice storms and perform well especially on the VLF and LF bands is a keeper. It's been the only way for me to receive the basement beacons.

Is there any backstory to it and any hope of the antenna coming back in another shape or form that can perform down low.

73,
Robert, VA3ROM

Chris Moulding

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your kind comments on the antenna. I think you probably got one from the last few batches where we used 2 mm thick tube for the elements.

Due to the Covid-19 situation we are limiting the time in the workshop so  some products that took a lot of workshop assembly were put on hold until things hopefully get back to normal.

I've checked and we still have some amplifier boards, the boxes are the standard polycarbonate ones we use for our other products so we would only need to order some tubing to make another batch.

When we have another batch ready I'll post details on the forum.

Robert, VA3ROM

Thanks, Chris, that's great to hear!

It's the only antenna that I can put up for spotting MF and LF WSPR beacons feeding my KiwiSDR receiver (setup for 8 receiver channels) plus the 2nd antenna port feeds my VLF SID receiver (19-27 kHz). The only issue I had with the older 100 ma consumption unit was the green LED burned out for some reason. I may open it up this summer and replace both red and green LEDs with resistorized versions. They are way to bright for my eyes and I suspect that something cause a power surge because LEDs usually don't "burn" out unless something went awry. Otherwise, it's working fine for the past two winters that have been extremely wicked even for this Canuck!
73

Stephen

Hello Chris

If you are going to make another batch, then I will also have one please.

Kind regards

Stephen

Juan A. Bertolin

Here from Spain, I am interested too

EA5XQ, Juan

Stephen

Hello Chris

As we emerge from lockdown, do you still have plans for a new batch of the VLF/LF/HF Active Vertical Antenna...5 kHz to 30 MHz ?

Kind regards

Stephen

Chris Moulding

The plan as we come out of lockdown in the UK is to start making batches of some of the products paused during the lockdown.

The first will be a Vee antenna amplifier later this week. We will not make the full Vee antenna with whips, brackets, expensive shipping price etc but a small amplifier with a Stauff clamp so that customers can source the antenna whips locally to fit it on their own antenna mast.

The next three products not in any order will be the HF Preselector, Broadband Active Antenna and the VLF/LF/HF Active Vertical antenna.

The timing of the batches and what is built first will depend upon when all components are available. I'm trying to source all components this week so that we can get started. It's surprising what things have been affected by the Covid-19 lockdown and the semiconductor shortage.

Scott

Great to hear Chris.

Is the intention still to add a bias T power option to the broadband antenna? And an output on the multicoupler to match?

Thanks

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 05:04 AM, Chris Moulding wrote:
The plan as we come out of lockdown in the UK is to start making batches of some of the products paused during the lockdown.

The first will be a Vee antenna amplifier later this week. We will not make the full Vee antenna with whips, brackets, expensive shipping price etc but a small amplifier with a Stauff clamp so that customers can source the antenna whips locally to fit it on their own antenna mast.

The next three products not in any order will be the HF Preselector, Broadband Active Antenna and the VLF/LF/HF Active Vertical antenna.

The timing of the batches and what is built first will depend upon when all components are available. I'm trying to source all components this week so that we can get started. It's surprising what things have been affected by the Covid-19 lockdown and the semiconductor shortage.

Yes, the revised design for the Broadband Active Antenna will be powered by 5 V so it will be suitable for use with the bias tee in SDRPlay receivers.

An option will be added at the same time for the Multicoupler so that it can act as a bias tee powering a Broadband Active Antenna via the coax feeder.