Looking for UK source of low noise 5V DC supply

Keith

Hi, I know CCW do a low noise 12V power supply (which I have) but I am looking for a UK supplied 5V
version to run the USB port of the CCW LAA+ base amplified PCB.
Linear 5V supplies appear to be difficult to find at present in the UK.
Would also consider a variable voltage bench supply if that would work, but which one at a reasonable cost.
Anyone have any recommendations for this and where to get one from ?

Keith

David Cutter

I would be tempted to use a discrete regulator off your 12V supply, with suitable heatsink

David G3UNA

On 02 December 2020 at 11:12 Keith <groups.c6545e@...> wrote:

Hi, I know CCW do a low noise 12V power supply (which I have) but I am looking for a UK supplied 5V
version to run the USB port of the CCW LAA+ base amplified PCB.
Linear 5V supplies appear to be difficult to find at present in the UK.
Would also consider a variable voltage bench supply if that would work, but which one at a reasonable cost.
Anyone have any recommendations for this and where to get one from ?

Keith

Chris Moulding

Due to EU regs for energy saving it is no longer possible to buy or sell a 5 V USB power supply.

There are some manufacturers who can still build a high quality switch mode power supply with good RF filtering.

For my own use to power antenna amplifiers and to replace all the cheap tat passed off as phone and tablet USB chargersI I've replaced them all with TT Electronics SW4479B 5 V 2.1 A USB chargers. This is designed for UK use with the 3 pin plug. It was originally designed to meet the high reliability (MTBF of 50000 hours) specification so it's a well made quality item. It appears to be RF quiet with no noticeable conducted RF on the mains supply or USB cable. If you put a receiver and antenna up against the charger there is some RF noise very close in within a few inches.

I bought mine from Rapid Electronics part number 85-2892, the current price is £6-89 + VAT.

TT Electronics probably make versions for other electrical supply sockets but I've not checked yet.

Keith

Thanks for the info Chris, that sounds just like what I am looking for and I will give it a try.
It will be much better than my current arrangement and at those prices you can't go wrong.

Keith

obrianboru@...

I have a clean 30 Amp 12 v shack psu but found that even short leads from it to bias tees, etc, were picking up rfi from nasty switch-mode PSUs in the house and shack.

I soldered small Belling-Lee filters at the point these leads enter the bias tees, amps, and other rf sensitive equipment and rfi has been cleaned up enormously.

Photo on my QRZ blog here: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/which-side-of-a-current-choke-needs-grounding-to-help-prevent-common-mode-or-rfi.700474/page-2

How they would cope with much stronger rfi on the power leads from a dodgy 5 v switch mode PSU, I don't know..... but it's worth a try.
73 Jeff