need help with CCW

KP3FT <kp3ft@...>

Hi all,

Are we allowed to attach screen-captures in messages here on the forum?  I ask because I'm having a problem with Igate and other stuff using Cross Country Messenger, UZ7HO's SoundModem, and running Xastir alongside them, and it would a lot easier to just show screen-caps of my settings.  Everything is set up and generally working; Xastir maps stations I hear, CCW is connected to SoundModem on port 4000 and is sending AX.25/PSK63 beacons.  But, my own station isn't getting gated by others, and I can't track down the problem.  Tnx, 73

Jeff KP3FT

WA8LMF

On 2/14/2017 1:43 PM, KP3FT via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi all,

Are we allowed to attach screen-captures in messages here on the forum?  I ask because I'm having a problem with Igate and other stuff using Cross Country Messenger, UZ7HO's SoundModem, and running Xastir alongside them, and it would a lot easier to just show screen-caps of my settings.  Everything is set up and generally working; Xastir maps stations I hear, CCW is connected to SoundModem on port 4000 and is sending AX.25/PSK63 beacons.  But, my own station isn't getting gated by others, and I can't track down the problem.  Tnx, 73

Jeff KP3FT

There is no problem attaching (or embedding) images to emails in this group.  However:

1)    The max total attachment size should be kept below a total of 5-6MB.   [Email is incredibly inefficient transmitting images or any other non-text material, since each byte of non-text (binary) files is converted into approximately two bytes of hexadecimal text for transmission, and then converted back to the original form at the receiving end. This process is invisible to the user, but means when you attach a "1 megabyte" image, you are actually generating 1.5-2.0MB of transmitted data.  Since the maximum size for a single message in most email systems (varies between hosts) is around 10MB, you should never attach/embed more than about 5-6 "original" megabytes to be safe.]

2)    DON'T SAVE screen caps as JPG images !!!!  The JPG format is only for continuous-tone images; i.e. live photos.   It achieves it's compression by looking for gradual changes (gradients) of color and brightness between adjacent pixels.   When  you attempt to save images with abrupt transitions between a limited palette of solid colors (maps, program screens, technical diagrams, B&W text, etc) as a JPG, you get a hideous bubbly blurry mess at the transitions between solid colors. This renders small-point-size type in program config screens nearly illegible. Always save these kinds of screens as either a GIF image or as a PNG.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
   <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

KP3FT <kp3ft@...>

Hi,

Tnx for the reply.  I've read through your website: http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm and set up everything as best I could.  I attached a screenshot of CCW and SoundModem, and a screenshot of Xastir's interface settings (Xastir sees either CCW or SoundModem as an AGWPE interface?).  I'm receiving and gating other stations when I hear them, and Xastir maps them.  What I'm trying to find out, is why my own packets don't get gated by other stations.  I have something set wrong, but no idea what.  Tnx, 73.

WA8LMF

On 2/14/2017 8:46 PM, KP3FT via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi,

Tnx for the reply.  I've read through your website: http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm and set up everything as best I could.  I attached a screenshot of CCW and SoundModem, and a screenshot of Xastir's interface settings (Xastir sees either CCW or SoundModem as an AGWPE interface?).  I'm receiving and gating other stations when I hear them, and Xastir maps them.  What I'm trying to find out, is why my own packets don't get gated by other stations.  I have something set wrong, but no idea what.  Tnx, 73.

_.

1)   I'm not clear why you are trying to beat a round peg into a square hole by running native Windows programs in Linux.  I have no idea how these applications are going to interact in an alien OS.

2)   If you are gating your own transmissions directly into the Internet, as well as sending them out on RF, you will NEVER see any evidence that anyone else heard and gated them also.

This is due to the APRS-IS (APRS-Internet System) de-duplication mechanism which basically says "First man in wins."   Your own packets gated-direct-to-the-Internet will always reach the APRS-IS several hundred milliseconds before they are decoded off RF and passed to the APRS-IS by another station(s).  (When the APRS-IS servers see duplicate packet payloads within 30 seconds or so, they are "tossed on the floor" and never show up.   [Note this is the packet contents; not the header with path info, callsigns, etc.]  This is true, even if duplicate packets reach the APRS-IS via different servers -- all the servers exchange data with each other within a second or so of receipt.

The only way to see if others are picking up your packets is to temporarily shut off your own Internet gateway.

This has been repeated endlessly on APRS mailing lists:  Due to the dupe suppression mechanism, you CANNOT study RF propagation by monitoring the APRS-IS.  About all you can prove is that the band is open to one point SOMEWHERE, and only if you shut down your OWN igate functions.

[Note that my APRS map servers at <http://WA8LMF.net/map>  DO show the effects of propagation, since they show what I am hearing directly off RF in central Michigan; not via the Internet.   Of course they only show what propagation is like for ME in central Michigan.  Not what you are experiencing at your location, unless of course, you see yourself on my 30M map. Then you know there is an RF path between you and me.]

KP3FT <kp3ft@...>

Thanks for the info.

"1)   I'm not clear why you are trying to beat a round peg into a square hole by running native Windows programs in Linux.  I have no idea how these applications are going to interact in an alien OS."

Strange way to put it... the round peg/square hole is  an impossibility;  not sure how that relates to running native Windows apps in Linux using a Windows emulator which is possible and people do it all the time with no issues.  I've found native Windows programs quite often run better in Linux.  As for why I'm doing this?  I'm rather tight on money at the moment, so I can't buy Windows, plus I simply like Linux better.

73