More 60-Meters APRS Tests and Annual Summer Road Trip

WA8LMF

On Wednesday 25 July 2018, I will be departing for my annual road trip to the Colorado Rockies for the Evergreen Jazz Festival <http://evergreenjazz.org> . The trip out there (1100 miles/1750 Km) takes two days of non-stop driving.

The first day (Wednesday) ends in Des Moines, Iowa about 500 miles/800Km out.  I will be beaconing on 60 meters with both standard 300 baud AX.25 and APRS Messengert MFSK16.    On the second day, which starts in Des Moines and ends in the Denver, Colorado area, I will switch to the normal 30-meters HF APRS, since I will presumably be too far from the home QTH (East Lansing, Michigan) 60-meter igate to hear me.  I will remain on 30 meters until the last day of the return trip (Des Moines-->Home) where I will again start operating on 60 meters. The final day is tentatively on 1 August.

I am carrying two monoband HamSticks, one for 30 meters and one for 60 meters.   The mobile installation has a Kenwood D700 VHF/UHF with full mobile laptop mapping and two-way messaging, and two HF rigs. A Yaesu FT-891 is dedicated to the 30M & 60M HF APRS  operation.  General HF operation on 40M through 6M (including my "Mobile SSTV LiveCAM") will be on a Yaesu FT-857.

At home,  UIview mapping webservers/igates are operating simultaneously on 30 & 60 meters.  As usual, go to

     <http://WA8LMF.net/map>

which takes you to my APRS webserver gateway page.  Click on the cyan button for the normal 30-meters mapping server that shows everything I am hearing off-the-air at home in real time.  Click on the black "Special Events Webserver" button for the special 60-meters mapping server.     The 30-meter receiving system is using my homebrew mag loop and an FT-891. The 60-meter receiver is using a 105' dipole center-fed with ladder line and an FT-857.    All servers are up and running now, even through the departure is a couple of days away.   Anyone else that wants to try beaconing on 60 meters (and maybe being seen on my webserver, findu.com or APRS.fi) is welcome to try.

Details on the receive frequencies, tones, etc for 60 meters is on the 60-meter server page, along with a route map of the 60-meter portion of the trip.

The calls/SSIDs for the various bands are:

-  WA8LMF (no SSID)  -  Normal 144.39 2M APRS

-  WA8LMF-2   -  30-meters AX.25 packet APRS
-  WA8LMF-63 -  30-meters MFSK16 or PSK63 APRS generated by APRS Messenger

-  WA8LMF-6   -  60-meters AX.25 packet APRS
-  WA8LMF-66 -  60-meters
MFSK16 or PSK63 APRS generated by APRS Messenger

All frequencies are routed into my Panasonic CF-51 Toughbook mobile laptop via multiple homebrew soundcard interfaces, and are capable of full two-way messaging.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
   <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

K4KDR

Thanks for all the detail!  Sounds like a very entertaining, but LONG trip.

Hope you have fun and as always the APRS results are interesting to the community.

73!

-Scott,  K4KDR

==============================

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 1:18 AM, WA8LMF via Groups.Io <wa8lmf@...> wrote:

[...]

Testing 1,2,3...   I'm now on the road in eastern Iowa.  Got a cryptic message that I had been "un-subscribed" from the Cross Country Wireless mailing list.

Testing to see if the groups.io remailer is working normally.  I should see this come back to me if it is working.

[...]

Russell Blair <nc5opsk@...>

I got it hr.
NC5O

__________________________________
Sent from eM Client | www.emclient.com

[...]

Mike Asbury

Stephen,

I received your beacon on 60m this morning at 08.36.55hrs here in Kansas, just south of Manhattan.  I was monitoring all day yesterday as you came south and west toward Kansas but never saw anything, but I got it this morning.  Good test!  Very interesting...I'll continue to monitor.

Mike, W9MPA

WA8LMF

On 7/26/2018 9:45 AM, Mike Asbury wrote:
Stephen,

I received your beacon on 60m this morning at 08.36.55hrs here in Kansas, just south of Manhattan.  I was monitoring all day yesterday as you came south and west toward Kansas but never saw anything, but I got it this morning.  Good test!  Very interesting...I'll continue to monitor.

Mike, W9MPA
_._,_._,_

I was hitting my igate in Michigan this morning (Wed 26 July) west of Des Moines until about 1000 EDT.  Now my WiFi checks of my server from the car show I'm no longer being heard in Michigan.

I've now switched the HF APRS setup back to the usual 30 meters until the return trip next week.

Also now have the autobeaconing SSTV LiveCAM going on 20 or 15 meters.  This live frame-grabs my dashcam every 5 minutes and sends a live pic from the highway.   On the usual SSTV freqs   14.230 or 21.340 .

Mike Asbury

The set up that I'm using to monitor this test is RF only.  I have the internet disabled so anything I receive is coming through the radio via SoundModem> APRS Messenger> APRSIS32.  The radio was set to 60m Channel 5 (5.405.00)  I received one beacon from Des Moines and another a few minutes later from west of Des Moines.  Nothing on 60m the rest of the day.  I'm now back on 30m monitoring.

Mike, W9MPA

WA8LMF

On 7/27/2018 3:22 AM, Mike Asbury wrote:
The set up that I'm using to monitor this test is RF only.  I have the internet disabled so anything I receive is coming through the radio via SoundModem> APRS Messenger> APRSIS32.  The radio was set to 60m Channel 5 (5.405.00)  I received one beacon from Des Moines and another a few minutes later from west of Des Moines.  Nothing on 60m the rest of the day.  I'm now back on 30m monitoring.

I was on 60M all day Wednesday and until about 1000 EDT Thursday.   I then switched to the usual 30M frequencies.

The screencaps from APRS.fi below show my home station in central Michigan (that was also igating) heard the 60-meter beacons pretty much constantly until I switched to 30 about 100 miles west of Des Moines on Thursday morning.

The Iowa highway rest stops located about every 30 miles along I-80 all provide free WiFi to the parking lot.  As I headed west, I would pull into each rest stop in turn and look at  both my own home copies of UIview using VNC, and the tracks on APRS.fi.     When I stopped seeing any evidence that my home igate was hearing me on 60,  I switched to 30 meters.

Two takeaways so far:

1)   60 only started working after about 8-9 AM local time and shut down at about 8-9 PM local.

2    The MFSK16 mode was VASTLY superior to AX.25 packet at the beginning and end of each day.     My igate would start hearing me about 30-60 minutes earlier each day than on AX.25, and stopped hearing me about 45 minutes later than on AX.25.

First day on 60M MFSK16

Second day on 30M MFSK16 to end of drive in Ft Lupton, CO.   Today (Friday) I will be driving around the Boulder/Evergreen area.

WA8LMF

[Tuesday 31 July  0700 Mountain Time]

The return trip from Colorado to East Lansing, MI begins this morning.

Today I will be on 30 meters from Denver to western Iowa.

Somewhere around Omaha, NE or Council Bluffs, IA,  I will switch to 60 meters.  For the final 600 miles of the trip tomorrow (Wednesday 1 Aug), I will be back within the coverage of the fixed map on the Special Events Webserver at

   <http://WA8LMF.net/map>

--

 _______ Windows 10 Outrages! _______
   <http://WA8LMF.net/Windows10_Info>