I recently received my LAA++ (one of the new ones with the bias t in a box). I put my wire inside a 15mm JG Speedfit plastic pipe, connected it together and it all seems to work. Amazing.
I am operating it in split mode with VirtualHere running on my Pi 4, connected to SDRPlay’s SDRdx, inside my garage and SDRPlay’s SDRuno on my Windows machine in my office.
I am brand new to this amateur radio stuff so I have some questions:
- Can I use the LAA++ for transmission?
- What is the head unit (the one directly connected to the wire antenna) actually doing? Amplifying the signal, matching the impedance, something else?
- I read about magnetic loop antennas, can the LAA++ do this, is it worth it?
- Can the LAA++ be used with other antenna configurations (delta, dipole, L, etc)?
- Is it possible to transmit the LAA++ directly from the Pi (apparently the Pi can transmit about 10mW but needs a filter as, for WSPR as an example, it’s transmitting a square wave)?