Re: Antenna amplifier for Beverage and large cardioid loop antennas

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

I don’t want to rub salt water into wounds (pun intended – shoot me!) but there are few people on the IRCA group who may argue with the effectiveness of a Beachfront Beverage. Have a listen to the Masset Kiwi which I think has a Beverage on the beachfront. You’ll find it at http://209.53.83.138:8073

Tom G6PZZ

From: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io <CrossCountryWireless@groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Moulding
Sent: 04 February 2021 20:06
To: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CrossCountryWireless] Antenna amplifier for Beverage and large cardioid loop antennas

Beverage antennas don't really work over salt water or beaches.

They rely on the incoming radio wavefront penetrating the ground. Due to the change in the speed of light (radio) in a dielectric (soil) the wavefront tiltsno tilting occurs.

This allows a horizontal wire on or very close to the ground to receive the signal.

Over saltwater or beaches the wavefront doesn't penetrate the ground or water so no tilting occurs for the Beverage antenna to work.

Depending on your location it might be worth trying one on sand dunes near a beach. Relatively dry sand will act as a dielectric allowing a Beverage antenna to work.