Re: Covid..and making phased loop antenna array..

David Cutter

QST March 2015 by  DK6ED may be of interest and shows 4 fixed loops in an array, alongside a small rotatable array. 

The rotatable array looks relatively straight forward to build and his personal web site has more up to date detail on that. 

https://www.qsl.net/dk6ed/

It would be interesting to know if one of Chris's amplifiers would do the job for this.

David G3UNA

On 01 January 2021 at 19:15 Tom Crosbie G6PZZ <tom@...> wrote:

Simon,

Really sorry to hear of you medical misfortune. It’s great to see you’ve still got the energy for construction, experimenting, plumbing, whatever you call it. You are an example to us all.

I look forward to the recovery of all your family and the results of your latest creation.

We’re going through our own medical issues here so my thoughts are with you.

Tom G6PZZ

From: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io <CrossCountryWireless@groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon
Sent: 01 January 2021 18:31
To: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io
Subject: [CrossCountryWireless] Covid..and making phased loop antenna array..

First of all happy new year to all..

my wife  and I are recovering from covid..mother in law is in hospital..induced coma..so lets say DONT get this!! Its not good..fingers crossed for m in law..
It took out 50% of staff at work..all much younger than I. So please be careful.

so had 2 plus weeks of not alot I can do ..cant leave house..( track and trace.) 
this may be of interest to you active loop lot! ( or not.)

have been making a phased loop array ..aim is to be able to hear usa etc on 160m in one direction..(nw) Australia in another etc..

as you know dought know the single loop has a pretty poor angle of max take off..ie vertical..

to improve this Chris has posted design for the cardioid loop..this however I have found is “ deaf” at my qth. I need much much more “gain “ to hear usa on 160m ssb..

so have built 2 of 4 square 1 m crossed loop arrays..to be placed inline at 8m apart ( max I can get.)  these are running into a pair of high gain high imd preamps..then into a passive variable delay line..then into rx..cat5e cable though out.
(there will be a third made to have 4 directions, but for now just 2.)

reason have used such a large loop array is that it has about 16 times current going to amp than a single 1m loop..( 1/4,inductance plus 4 times area.) this helps no end and compensates for the 6db loss in the  delay line/ combiner..

The advantages of this phased array hopefully will be once finished , 4 switchable directions..good front  to back ratio..and much much lower angle of radiation angle..ie dx..

disadvantage..Chris has not made a passive delay line!! So had to build it all in house= many days..( still got sod all else to do..cant visit m in law..got covid plus no visitors..another plus is dont have to watch day time tv!! ( god its crap!!)

so now to “ hide” two big loops..thinking i will hide them in full view..and see whats said..

hopefully testing tomorrow..

stay well mag loop simon g0zen 

Join CrossCountryWireless@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.