Re: Tips to improve LAA+ Performance?

David Cutter

Eric

We are only interested in receive capability not transmit, so, cable loss is not so important, ie dB per m, etc.  It's most important to prevent ingress along the length of the feeder and shielded twisted pair is good at both electric and magnetic isolation, which is where the Cat5S comes in.  Nice to know it can also be cheaper.

David G3UNA

On 04 December 2020 at 08:28 Eric Inloes <compaq963@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: I can't type while being half sleep wring these replies :) Sorry! ]

Hi David,

No, They weren't. It was 50 Feet of good quality RG-6 vs a short 3 feet run of RG-58. With that said on the SDRplay RSPdx at 15 Mhz the noise floor changed about 10 dBm higher for the 50 Ohm coax. That seems like quite a large difference which lead me to buy 50 FT of RG-58.

To me the higher noise floor could also mean more signal... Maybe not.

I know RG-58 isn't the best coax but i figure for the frequency range of LAA+ it's okay. RG-8X and LMR is far more costly.

It was mentioned awhile go poorly mismatched to 50 Ohm could cause high noise and IMD products. Maybe the case here?

Again, Sorry for the edits. Wish it didn't email you all. Trying to write this half asleep here :)