Re: ACTIVE BROADAND ANTENNA How do I improve HF performance?

Chris Moulding

The later versions of the original Broadband Active Antenna had common mode chokes on the coax feed inside the antenna to stop RF noise from the coax cable reaching the amplifier in the antenna.

To get the same performance I would suggest using two clip-on chokes on the RG-58 feeder cable close to the antenna. I would fit a 43 grade ferrite closest to the antenna with a second ferrite of 73 grade ferrite next to it. Using two different grades of ferrite material improves the frequency range of the RFI suppression and is also very effective in other situations where ferrite is needed.