Re: Saying hi.

David Cutter

Look for TV antenna rotator: used to be common from USA/Japan

David G3UNA

From: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io [mailto:CrossCountryWireless@groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Sayer
Sent: 02 December 2019 09:50
To: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CrossCountryWireless] Saying hi.

I can't find a low cost rotator either. A recent RadCom has a DIY project. And I saw somewhere one made from a wiper motor.

Regards 

Paul G0VKT 

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, 20:28 Tom Crosbie G6PZZ, <tom@...> wrote:

Hello Patrick,

I’m hoping you are in the UK as I’m looking for an inexpensive rotator and I was wondering which model you bought and from where.

There used to be loads of them in the UK but they all seem to have disappeared. Even the cheapest Yaesu is both very expensive and overkill for a simple loop.

Tom G6PZZ

From: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io <CrossCountryWireless@groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick J.M. Keane
Sent: 01 December 2019 19:18
To: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CrossCountryWireless] Saying hi.

Got it.  Yes, the current setup is bicycle wheel.  Will try a smaller gap.  Also I purchased a rotator so I can play with the direction as it gets colder, without stepping outside.

Once I am happy with its ground performance will try a higher mount.

By the way, using 75ohm coax connection, I assume that's reasonable.

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019, 1:57 PM Chris Moulding <chrism@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Patrick,

If you are using a bicycle wheel rim the spacing doesn't need to be very much. On the one shown in the video the gap is only the width of the saw cut. I made a fibre glass spacer to keep the wheel rim in it's original shape.

I'm planning to make another video this week showing how to make a loop out of a bicycle wheel rim. That should explain it better than a text description.

Regarding your strong local station try nulling it out with the loop. You should be able to get a very sharp null up to 40 dB down.

Regards,

Chris

Join CrossCountryWireless@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.