Re: VLF/LF/MF/HF Active Vertical VLF Performance

Robert, VA3ROM

The site that I'm using isĀ http://wspr.aprsinfo.com/. It avoids the annoying Google maps "For developmental purposes" message over lay on the WSPRnet map display but I do use the WSPRnet database log becuase I can plot the receiver WSPR beacon SNR's over the coarse of time. I got 7 beacons from the LF station and can see how the SNR varies during the reception period and ditto for the MF beacons.

From 0652 to 0856 UTC the WSPR LF beacon 30 dBm (1 watt) was -27 to -28 dB with one decoding at -30 dB, which is a good test of the antenna and receiver an the decoding at the lowest end of the scale for WSPR.

The WSPR MF beacons are more numerous 114 with 7 stations being spotted and I'll need a bit more time to plot their SNR signals because their tx power varied and did their distances so that gets a bit more complicated (at least for me it is!). Most them were all clustered around the Great Lakes where more hams tend to live by sheer number geographically.

Anyway, it should be interesting to see the effects of space weather and time of year and the solar cycle affects things over the next few years. I remember only 5 years ago that flea power WSPR beacons had not problems being spotted from every place they transmitted from. Now, I'm seeing more and more QRO beacons running 10, 20 and even 50 watts. That's just how bad propagation has become these days even for digital! When Joe Taylor K1JT says that that he's running FT8 (he's the father of WSPR, JT and along with K9AN the co-farher of the FT modes) with a dipole and a 100 watts that tells you that something is really, really wrong "up there"!

73,
Robert