Re: One-off special...Indoor HF Active Loop antenna

David Cutter

I started to design a small rotator from a BBQ spit rotator.  Amazon has them at around £5. The battery is integral and I think it could be done without much ado.  It is just the business end, no controller or direction indicator.  Should be a great little project for someone with the time…whatever that is. 

David G3UNA

From: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io [mailto:CrossCountryWireless@groups.io] On Behalf Of Greg_M6ORT
Sent: 27 September 2018 14:02
To: david via Groups.Io; CrossCountryWireless@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CrossCountryWireless] One-off special...Indoor HF Active Loop antenna

With regards to rotators...  The only one I could find that was a TV type and cheaper was on a well known internet auction site.  It had to come from the US, but the company had signed up for the scheme where the postage covers all the p&p, customs and vat duty etc so you didn't have the performance getting it into the country.  It was a Channel Master 9521.  Think it was around £142 all in compared to silly cash for ham brands, although not as good as the £80 you used to be able to pay.

Best wishes

Greg

M6ORT 

From: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io <CrossCountryWireless@groups.io> on behalf of david via Groups.Io <zinc65@...>
Sent: 27 September 2018 12:40
To: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CrossCountryWireless] One-off special...Indoor HF Active Loop antenna

An HF active antenna that manages a good s/n ratio at LF would be greatly appreciated.
The bigger problem appears to be sourcing that 'TV Rotator'. If you only need to turn a small loop like the CCW antenna, all the rotators on today's market are over-specified and expensive.

David, GM8XBZ

-----Original Message-----
From: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io <CrossCountryWireless@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Cutter via Groups.Io
Sent: 27 September 2018 10:59
To: CrossCountryWireless@groups.io

Well done, Chris. 

<snip>

I can imagine using an inverted U for tx and rx, then this receive-only antenna as the other, perhaps on a small TV rotator. 

Join CrossCountryWireless@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.