Windshield divider strip

Mike S

The stainless trim on our '48's windshield was in poor condition (dents from screws that were too long and gouges from a grinder).  I purchased a refurbished one from a vendor at Wauseon.  Another issue was that I couldn't see very well out the rear view mirror (at it's stock location, I can only see the lower half of whatever's behind me).  I thought I'd flip the inside strip around to put the mirror lower while I was replacing the stainless trim.  Anyway, I can't seem to get it all back together, as though the screws won't reach now.  I'm re-using the existing rubber strips.  I'm afraid to get longer screws....don't want to ruin this $75 dollar new part.  Any tips???
thanks,
Mike S (Fritz)

Richard Williams

Make sure you turn the rubber so the nut is in the right place.

On Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 07:09:13 PM PDT, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

The stainless trim on our '48's windshield was in poor condition (dents from screws that were too long and gouges from a grinder).  I purchased a refurbished one from a vendor at Wauseon.  Another issue was that I couldn't see very well out the rear view mirror (at it's stock location, I can only see the lower half of whatever's behind me).  I thought I'd flip the inside strip around to put the mirror lower while I was replacing the stainless trim.  Anyway, I can't seem to get it all back together, as though the screws won't reach now.  I'm re-using the existing rubber strips.  I'm afraid to get longer screws....don't want to ruin this $75 dollar new part.  Any tips???
thanks,
Mike S (Fritz)

Tim Hamblen

Get some new screws, about a 1/4 longer. Put them in just tight enough without denting the ss. Then take them out one at a time, cutting a bit off with an electricians wire stripper that has the screw cutting capacity. Screw that one in and do them all. You may have to do it several times but you will get them all tight w/o hurting the ss. 8-32 screws by the way.
This tutorial I done might help                    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10214887598254575&type=3

Jim Liberty

I have the same problem with my windshield divider. Service Motors doesn't have any. I have not tried to put mine together as my '47 PU is still in paint. I am thinking about talking to the paintless dent removal guy I use.    ......Jim.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 7:09 PM Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
The stainless trim on our '48's windshield was in poor condition (dents from screws that were too long and gouges from a grinder).  I purchased a refurbished one from a vendor at Wauseon.  Another issue was that I couldn't see very well out the rear view mirror (at it's stock location, I can only see the lower half of whatever's behind me).  I thought I'd flip the inside strip around to put the mirror lower while I was replacing the stainless trim.  Anyway, I can't seem to get it all back together, as though the screws won't reach now.  I'm re-using the existing rubber strips.  I'm afraid to get longer screws....don't want to ruin this $75 dollar new part.  Any tips???
thanks,
Mike S (Fritz)

Mike S

I purchased longer screws today (1" stainless steel) & cut off about 5 threads and with Sonya pushing down from the outside & me inside, was able to get the job done.  As a bonus, I do like the lower placement of the mirror.  You have to be careful no to scratch the dash as you manipulate the mirror out of the way to get the 2 lower mounting screws.