Topics

Width of CC wheels

Mike S

Our car currently has original Goodyear tires on it and the wheels are painted body color instead of white.  I purchased an early 46 chassis just to get the wheels so I could paint them the correct color and put modern tires on them so I would have a set of "show" wheels and a set of "driver" wheels.  As I'm pulling the tires off, I notice the early wheels are only 3.5 inches wide (overall width) and the wheels on the '48 are 4 inches wide.  Did Crosley increase the width over time, or did one of these vehicles have wheels from something else?  They both hold Crosley hubcaps properly.

James Dlapa

Hi Mike, I know the prewars I have out here all have the 3.5” overall width on the wheels.
I would imaging the early CC’s may have had these as well.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 10:21 AM Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
Our car currently has original Goodyear tires on it and the wheels are painted body color instead of white.  I purchased an early 46 chassis just to get the wheels so I could paint them the correct color and put modern tires on them so I would have a set of "show" wheels and a set of "driver" wheels.  As I'm pulling the tires off, I notice the early wheels are only 3.5 inches wide (overall width) and the wheels on the '48 are 4 inches wide.  Did Crosley increase the width over time, or did one of these vehicles have wheels from something else?  They both hold Crosley hubcaps properly.

Jim Bollman

Pre-Wars switched from 4:25 to 4:50X12 in 1942 but I don’t have information on when the rims changed. The roughly 3.5” wide overall is what PreWar measure and 4” is what PostWar measure but James may be right that early 46s may have been left over rims. I always assumed they switched to the wider rims in 42 but I can’t find any reference to that in my files.

On Oct 26, 2020, at 1:32 PM, James Dlapa <crosley1980@...> wrote:

Hi Mike, I know the prewars I have out here all have the 3.5” overall width on the wheels.
I would imaging the early CC’s may have had these as well.
On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 10:21 AM Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
Our car currently has original Goodyear tires on it and the wheels are painted body color instead of white.  I purchased an early 46 chassis just to get the wheels so I could paint them the correct color and put modern tires on them so I would have a set of "show" wheels and a set of "driver" wheels.  As I'm pulling the tires off, I notice the early wheels are only 3.5 inches wide (overall width) and the wheels on the '48 are 4 inches wide.  Did Crosley increase the width over time, or did one of these vehicles have wheels from something else?  They both hold Crosley hubcaps properly.

Mike S

The only thing I know about this early chassis is it has a low number cobra motor (554) w/ small generator & small starter & cut out on the generator.  Early shocks too.  The entire motor/tranny/chassis/rear axle has a thick coating of dried up grease indicating the vehicle was used a lot over time.  Zero paint is left on the wheels and now that I have the tires off of the wheels found that one of them is no good (big rust hole).  I guess there is no guarantee these narrow wheels are original to the chassis.

Anyone have a need for the narrow wheels?  I was going to have them sandblasted (local shop wants $25 each to do rims), but I think I'd rather find some 4 inch rims instead.
Mike S

James Dlapa

Mike I would be interested in them

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 1:38 PM Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
The only thing I know about this early chassis is it has a low number cobra motor (554) w/ small generator & small starter & cut out on the generator.  Early shocks too.  The entire motor/tranny/chassis/rear axle has a thick coating of dried up grease indicating the vehicle was used a lot over time.  Zero paint is left on the wheels and now that I have the tires off of the wheels found that one of them is no good (big rust hole).  I guess there is no guarantee these narrow wheels are original to the chassis.

Anyone have a need for the narrow wheels?  I was going to have them sandblasted (local shop wants $25 each to do rims), but I think I'd rather find some 4 inch rims instead.
Mike S

Mike S

James,
Your note went into my spam folder so just now seeing it. What is your
zip code? I'd be shipping them from 62837.
Mike S