Topics

Where does oil pressure attach to block?

Steve Perry

Hello everyone
Getting ready to attempt to get the engine running. Can someone let me know where I should hook a gauge to read oil pressure?
Thanks
Steve

Butch

Passenger's side, 3/4s or so, toward the rear, of the CRANKCASE, not the block.

Butch

On 4/7/2020 1:22 PM, Steve Perry wrote:
Hello everyone
Getting ready to attempt to get the engine running. Can someone let me know where I should hook a gauge to read oil pressure?
Thanks
Steve

Steve Perry

Thanks Butch...

Butch,
   Does it attach in the same port where the return line to the oil filter attaches? If so, should there be an extension that takes both the oil return & oil pressure gauge line below & past the water pump before going up?
   My present set up, that existed when I bought the 1952 Super SW, has both lines attached to a Y connection & coming up between the gap in the exhaust manifold & exhaust pipe. That seems like a poor set up that
   would only super heat the oil in these lines.
Thanx, Skip D

Butch

Skip,
I'm confused. The canister filter RETURN line, attaches to the crankcase, on the driver's side, not the passenger's side.
The canister filter feed line, comes from the FRONT of the crankcase, on the passenger's side.
The oil pressure gauge line, attaches to the passenger's side of the crankcase, about 3/4s of the way back, behind the water pump.
Nothing else is supposed to feed of of that tap.
Butch

On 8/10/2020 4:47 PM, Tilden Drinkard wrote:
Butch,
?? ??Does it attach in the same port where the return line to the oil filter attaches? If so, should there be an extension that takes both the oil return & oil pressure gauge line below & past the water pump before going up?
?? ??My present set up, that existed when I bought the 1952 Super SW, has both lines attached to a Y connection & coming up between the gap in the exhaust manifold & exhaust pipe. That seems like a poor set up that
?? ??would only super heat the oil in these lines.
Thanx, Skip D

Butch,
I'm sorry. I didn't explain that very well. Obviously your correct. However, the port at the front of the engine on the passenger side
that you describe as the canister filter feed port has been blocked with a plug from inside the crankcase. I cleaned out the port &
discovered that the threads where the line would attach seem to be stripped a bit. I surmise that rather than read thread this port,
they simply attached the filter feed line to a splitter & paired it with the oil pressure line. When I initially bought the car, I took off the
rocker cover & as the engine was running, I could see good oil flow to the top of the engine. However, since the oil pressure gauge
didn't work, I wanted to attach my oil pressure test gauge to the engine to check the precise pressure. That's when I discovered this
work around. At this point, I guess my question would be: Since I seem to be getting good oil pressure, maybe I just let "sleeping
dogs lie" & get on to the non-functioning brake system? However, I still may try to feed this line away from the exhaust manifold. Any thoughts?
Thanx, Skip D

Butch,
   After doing compression & leak down tests I have decided to yank the engine &
   have it rebuilt. I figured I could also attack the stripped & blocked oil feed port problem
   that we discussed in August.
   After getting it out & consulting my photo's, I still am a little confused about which is
   that port. I've attached a photo of that area of the crankcase. Could you please identify
   the port for me from the attached photo? I really appreciate your help.
Skip D

Butch,
   Forget my question from this morning. Obviously I was way off.
   I got my answer.
Thanx, Skip D

Jim Bollman

No Photo Attached.