Topics

What is the best method to remove FOR brake drum

jeff

For the most stubborn rear brake drum, use an axle drive nut with a hammer,  or put a hub puller on the four drum bolt holes?  Use heat from a torch on the taper?
Thanks, these hubs haven't been removed in over 40 years.
Jeff

Jeff,

Use the upmost caution, the FOR hubs, are not available for love nor money, or even love AND money!

I'm no fan of the axle drive nuts, use a hub puller and engage all four wheel bolts, if possible.

Penetrating oil and patience are your friends. Heat judiciously, but most of all, take your time.

Butch

On 8/21/2019 8:39 PM, jeff wrote:
For the most stubborn rear brake drum, use an axle drive nut with a hammer,?? or put a hub puller on the four drum bolt holes??? Use heat from a torch on the taper?
Thanks, these hubs haven't been removed in over 40 years.
Jeff

Tim Hamblen

I've had best luck using a puller, tighten it up to keep pressure on the thing and gently tap all around the drum with a hammer. It always eventually pops free.

jeff

Thanks Tim and Butch for the advice.  I modified an OTC universal hub puller by ovaling the bolt holes at the end of the four arms (so it would fit onto the small diameter hub pattern).  Purchased four grade 8 bolts (1/2 x 1 3/4 fine thread) plus grade 8 thick washers to screw all the way through the hub.  Used PB blaster generously.   Tightened the puller,  tapped all around the drum, and they came off with more tightening of the puller.

Thanks again,  Jeff

Sent from my jphone

I've had best luck using a puller, tighten it up to keep pressure on the thing and gently tap all around the drum with a hammer. It always eventually pops free.

Butch

Jeff,

Happy to help, glad it worked out.

Butch