Topics

What is best spot to tie down Crosley wagon for towing?

Todd Swangstu

I am towing my first Crosley home.  Any recommendations on best spots underneath to tied down the vehicle to the trailer? Thanks Todd

Gabriel Haddad

Hi Todd, I have always used a strap centered on the front axle and one over the diff tube. Tightened straight front and back. It takes a really bad road to make the car walk side to side. If you wanted to add two more straps as a four point, you would more add lateral support.
Good luck.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018, 2:30 PM Todd Swangstu <bastardbus@...> wrote:
I am towing my first Crosley home.  Any recommendations on best spots underneath to tied down the vehicle to the trailer? Thanks Todd

Jim Bollman

I would not use a tie point in the center of the axle, it could bend the axle if you tie down to hard or hit some bumps, especially the pre 1950 axle that was lighter weight. I always do two in the front and two in the back either straight or crossed your choice. Tie in the front outboard of the leaf springs making sure your are looping around just the axle and not part of the steering linkage. On the back I again go outboard of the springs, be sure not to get any of the brake lines or cables in the loop around the axle, again either straight or crossed. I have used chains and straps, both are fine but don't use the really light weight cheap straps they sell at Harbor Freight or other box stores, be sure they are rated for the load you have.

Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy I always add a single chain to the front, not pulled tight just as a last ditch in case the worse happens, the car will not roll into traffic behind me. I usually just loop that around a front spring shackle since it will only pull tight if something completely unexpected happens.

A lot depends on how far your trailering too, if only a short distance you can be a little less cautious than if you're going hundreds of miles.

Jim...

On Jul 25, 2018, at 12:30 PM, Todd Swangstu <bastardbus@...> wrote:

I am towing my first Crosley home.  Any recommendations on best spots underneath to tied down the vehicle to the trailer? Thanks Todd

Richard Williams

TIE DOWN TO THE AXLES.

On ‎Wednesday‎, ‎July‎ ‎25‎, ‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎30‎:‎17‎ ‎AM, Todd Swangstu <bastardbus@...> wrote:

I am towing my first Crosley home.  Any recommendations on best spots underneath to tied down the vehicle to the trailer? Thanks Todd

Terrance Robinson

how about the frame?--Terry

--
Hurt not the Earth neither the Sea. Nor the Trees.                         Revelation 7:3
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."

Ken Acheson

You never want ot tye down on frame as it is mounted on springs and will bounce and break your straps and move around

On Jul 25, 2018, at 4:03 PM, Terrance Robinson <tarobinson44@...> wrote:

how about the frame?--Terry

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:30 AM, Todd Swangstu <bastardbus@...> wrote:
I am towing my first Crosley home.  Any recommendations on best spots underneath to tied down the vehicle to the trailer? Thanks Todd

--
Hurt not the Earth neither the Sea. Nor the Trees.                         Revelation 7:3
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
                                                                            President Dwight D. Eisenhower
"The only thing to buy on credit is your casket."                       James A Michener
Debt is "anything that you pay today for yesterday's living"              Ruth Hayden
A model of Christian Charity: "We are all responsible (institutions and individuals)    to each other and to serve the common good"              Gov. John Winthrop 1630

Jim Bollman

I agree in general, but I tie my FarmOroad down using I-Bolts I put into existing holes in the frame. The FOR has a very stiff suspension and I put enough tension on so the springs are partially compressed. I use ratchet straps on the back and chains and turnbuckles on the front, pus have a board that I pull against in the front and drop a second born into mounts in the back to keep it in place. I would not tie a regular Crosley to the frame for the reason's you give.

Jim...

On Jul 25, 2018, at 4:44 PM, Ken Acheson <jesse@...> wrote:

[...]

John Van Sickle

I .also suggest the car be put in neutral,,,

L.E. Hardee

I too am overly cautious, but it saved both my crosley and possibly the tow vehicle.  I had inadvertently added extra Crosley parts in the Crosley such that the trailer was very tail heavy.  I did not realize this because the truck bed was also heavily loaded.  On the Interstate Northwest of Atlanta, a semi passed me and the air shock wave set up a bad oscillation. The trailer was swinging so violently that the trailer was on one wheel only and then the other.  I was all over both lanes of the highway as the trailer drug me back and forth.  The Crosley bumper broke out both tail lights on my 69 El Camino.  I realized that if I hit the brakes, I would roll the whole rig so I only jabbed the brakes when I timed that the trailer would be behind me and let up when it was jackknifed at the extreme of its swings.  It took about a mile to get the rig under control and over the the side of the road.  For some reason the other traffic backed off and let me have all the room I needed to fight for control.  Other than the tail light damage and loosing trailer hubcaps, I didn't hurt my rig or the crosley.  The trailer tires did scrape some paint on the car doors higher up than it would appear to be possible.  Go figure.

I use the four heavy straps to the axles approach but also use light duty straps to the bumper brackets straight down to the trailer.  I get someone to bounce the bumper down while I take up the slack with the strap.  This way the Crosley doesn't bounce much.  It might be over kill, but It worked for me.  My Crosley stayed on, even though the trailer was tilted sideways at 45 degrees or more.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve Perry

I guess I’ll weigh in too.. I have towed several cars and some halfway across the US. I usually tie at the 4 corners since my trailer has eye bolts at those spots. A couple Ukrainian guys who picked my an MGA from me used a strap they call a Lasso Strap.
The open end of the strap goes through the wheel and and then threads back through the sewn in D ring on the strap. So, you’re holding the car by the wheel/tire at the 4 corners. It’s also very easy to strap down and I strap since you don’t have to get under the car.
I’ve only hauled one car this way but I think it’s the easiest and safest method I’ve found

My $.02

Steve

Steve

I use axle straps over the outer ends of both the front and rear axles secured to the trailer with ratchet straps to go with a secure 4 point tie down.  I then use two more tie downs behind the front wheel running from the spring shackle to the trailer for extra security.  I had a cousin driving a Suburban killed when a Ford Escort came off a car dolly towed by an RV.  No car of mine will come off my trailer.

[...]

SUCCESS...

Todd Swangstu

Thanks much for help and tips guys!  I have never towed a Crosley before and was a little worried about what to hook up too!  Even the frame looks somewhat fragile!  LOL

Terrance Robinson

Thanks--Terry

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 3:44 PM, Ken Acheson <jesse@...> wrote:
[...]

why? Terry

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 4:24 PM, John Van Sickle via Groups.Io <crosleyjon@...> wrote:
I .also suggest the car be put in neutral,,,

--
Hurt not the Earth neither the Sea. Nor the Trees.                         Revelation 7:3
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
                                                                            President Dwight D. Eisenhower
"The only thing to buy on credit is your casket."                       James A Michener
Debt is "anything that you pay today for yesterday's living"              Ruth Hayden
A model of Christian Charity: "We are all responsible (institutions and individuals)    to each other and to serve the common good"              Gov. John Winthrop 1630

Mac McBrayer