Waterpump Generator connector

James Hudson

Edited

Hello everyone,  I've pulled the water pump and generator on my '52 (with Homelite engine) and instead of the connectors that I've usually seen, it has a large coupling that keys together with a hard plastic piece to (I guess) cushion the metal. Has anyone else used this? I'm not sure if I should reuse this or use the new standard connector that I purchased from one of our vendors. I'm going to post this on the Face Book site as well. Thank you for any observations/advice-Jim Hudson

L.E. Hardee

Edited

That is a standard shaft coupler in industrial applications.  They are reliable and readily available at any industrial supply house,  Also they can compensate for a lot of misalignment.  As an engineer, I see no reason not to use it.  As an old car guy, it obviously not original equipment.  Paint over the orange logos and maybe cover it up with a coupler shield that I have seen some of the Crosley guys install on their cars.  Then who would know except you unless they get under the car and look up.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 9:11 PM James Hudson <jamespart7@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,  I've pulled the water pump and generator on my '52 (with Homelite engine) and instead of the connectors that I've usually seen, it has a large coupling that keys together with a hard plastic piece to (I guess) cushion the metal. Has anyone else used this? I'm not sure if I should reuse this or use the new standard connector that I purchased from one of our vendors. I'm going to post this on the Face Book site as well. Thank you for any observations/advice-Jim Hudson

James Hudson

Thank you! I appreciate the advice.

Butch

Edited

James,

That is a standard, LoveJoy connector.

Yes, there is a reason to NOT use it. The Crosley connector, controls the location of the water pump impeller, keeping it from going back against the scroll a,d wearing on it.

I have a few examples, where they have been used and the impeller cot the housing up badly.

Butch

On 8/18/2020 11:06 PM, L.E. Hardee wrote:
[...]

Thank you again Butch!