Voltage regulator ??and problems

"mcriverbug" <mcriverbug@...>

I have an early 47 with the voltage regulator mounted on the inner
passenger fender.It is about 2x3 inches,one set of points that spark
when I push them closed with the motor running.There is a wire
coming off the generator to the regulator then out of regulator to
the wiring harness. The engine has the small generator. Is this the
proper regulator,if so how can I troubleshoot the not charging
problem. Every car picture I see with the hood open seems to have the
regulator mounted on the firewall,my car does not and there are no
telltale holes in the firewall from ever having been mounted there.
Any suggestions where I can find wiring diagrams for the regulator
and charging system.All other wiring on the car works fine. Thanks -
John

Jim Bollman <Jim@...>

The small generator used a small cutout relay mounted on the generator. It sounds like you have an after market replacement. It basically charged full or not at all by controlling the field wire.

Jim...

I have an early 47 with the voltage regulator mounted on the inner
passenger fender.It is about 2x3 inches,one set of points that spark

"mcriverbug" <mcriverbug@...>

--Jim, I have a spare large generator and matching water pump, it
sounds like I should change to the Voltage regulator on the firewall
for any kind of reliability. Where could I find a color and wiring
diagram for this regulator. It looks like only 3 wires on the
firewall regulator, but I need a wiring diagram. Thanks -
John - In Crosley_Gang@y..., Jim Bollman <Jim@B...>
wrote:
The small generator used a small cutout relay mounted on the
generator. It sounds like you have an after market replacement. It
basically charged full or not at all by controlling the field wire.

Jim...

I have an early 47 with the voltage regulator mounted on the inner
passenger fender.It is about 2x3 inches,one set of points that
spark

"crosley19" <CROSLEY19@...>

clean the area around the generator terminals. One will be marked F,
and the other A. The voltage regulator will be marked on the post
where the wires fasten to. One is marked F(field), one A(armature),
and one B (battery). Connect the field terminal of the gen to the
fielf to the field terminal of the voltage regulator, connect the
armature terminal of the gen to the armature terminal of the voltage
regulator. Connect the battery terminal of the voltage regulator to
the constant hot terminal of the starter solenoid (the big terminal
that goes to the negative battery terminal) Now you must POLARIZE the
generator ( this is to tell the generator which terminal on the
battery is hooked to ground. To do this take a small piece of wire
and jump the battery, and armature terminals of the voltage regulator
for a split second!! If the generator and voltage regulator are good
it should charge. You may want to try and polarize the voltage
regulator you already have on the car, as this may start it working
again. Alot of times when the battery is removed from the car the
voltage regulator will forget it's polarity, and you will have to
polarize it again. Hope this helps you.
Barry

Jim Bollman <Jim@...>

The directions that Barry gave sound about right but if you want pictures the Service Manual that Service Motors sells for $17 has wiring diagrams.

Jim...

--Jim, I have a spare large generator and matching water pump, it
sounds like I should change to the Voltage regulator on the firewall
for any kind of reliability. Where could I find a color and wiring
diagram for this regulator. It looks like only 3 wires on the
firewall regulator, but I need a wiring diagram. Thanks -

"mcriverbug" <mcriverbug@...>

---Many Thanks to JIM & BARRY for all your time and help. - John