Topics

Valve clearance

Andy Farley

I just finished measuring my valve clearance. I have two exhaust valves at .012 and one intake valve at .009. All other valves are in spec.  Just wondering if this is really bad and would it make them noisy. I'm going to shim them anyway,  just wondering if I can expect the valves to be quieter.

crosleyshortsport

The first thing to know is the Valve positions. From the front to back is, exhaust, intake, intake, exhaust, exhaust, intake, intake, exhaust.
Valve clearance should be : 
Intake, .005 - .006 cold
Exhaust .007 - .009 cold

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020, 4:58 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I just finished measuring my valve clearance. I have two exhaust valves at .012 and one intake valve at .009. All other valves are in spec.  Just wondering if this is really bad and would it make them noisy. I'm going to shim them anyway,  just wondering if I can expect the valves to be quieter.

seb fontana

I lost a .015 shim once and it got noisy; while you at at it I would put them in spec.

Steve

While I like the idea of having them at spec, I am reminded of my Ford Pinto.  At 30,000 miles the dealer provided the recommended service and adjusted the valve clearance. At 39,000 I had burned valves and had to replace the head.  The next Ford mechanic I spoke with said, "Let 'em rattle."  Moral of the story, a little noise is better than no noise. I think I would err on the high side of the spec.  I'll let Barry, Butch or Dale be a higher authority on this 

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/18/20 3:20 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Valve clearance

I lost a .015 shim once and it got noisy; while you at at it I would put them in spec.

Butch

My general practice is, use the mid spec as my low limit and add 0.002 as my high limit. Loose valves are noisy, tight valves burn.

As negligent as many Crosley owners are about maintenance, error on the loose side. The increase in noise and the decrease in performance is negligible, in the overall scheme of Crosley.

Butch

On 2/18/2020 4:48 PM, Steve wrote:
While I like the idea of having them at spec, I am reminded of my Ford Pinto.  At 30,000 miles the dealer provided the recommended service and adjusted the valve clearance. At 39,000 I had burned valves and had to replace the head.  The next Ford mechanic I spoke with said, "Let 'em rattle."  Moral of the story, a little noise is better than no noise. I think I would err on the high side of the spec.  I'll let Barry, Butch or Dale be a higher authority on this 

_._,_.

Jim Bollman

Unless you're going for 100% original, an aluminum valve cover will quiet down the valve clatter a lot.

Jim...

On Feb 18, 2020, at 8:00 PM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988@...> wrote:

My general practice is, use the mid spec as my low limit and add 0.002 as my high limit. Loose valves are noisy, tight valves burn.

As negligent as many Crosley owners are about maintenance, error on the loose side. The increase in noise and the decrease in performance is negligible, in the overall scheme of Crosley.

Butch

On 2/18/2020 4:48 PM, Steve wrote:

_._,_.

Andy Farley

That's pretty much what I did today. I used the specs that Dave Edwards gave me. .004-.006 for intake and .007-.009 for exhaust and stayed on the loose side. I also put on a Braje cam cover. Should make it a little quieter. I think it will work out well. I'll fire it up tommorow so that it has time for the gasket sealer to cure. Thank  You all for your input. I love this little car.

Andy Farley

Between adjusting the valves, aluminum cam cover and new exhaust my Crosley is quieter, seems to run smoother and seems to have more power. Thanks to all for the advice.

Robert Connearney

I'm looking for a finned aluminum cam cover. Is the Braje (or other) still being marketed?

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Date: 2/24/20 3:08 PM (GMT-05:00)

Between adjusting the valves, aluminum cam cover and new exhaust my Crosley is quieter, seems to run smoother and seems to have more power. Thanks to all for the advice.

Andy Farley

Service Motors has them.

Plandersen

I have an aluminum valve cover when a guy gave me a bunch of crosley stuff.  It may have been off of a boat motor.  The hold down studs are in the wrong place for it to fit my Crosley.  Any idea what it might fit on?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...

On Feb 24, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Robert Connearney via Groups.Io <rconnearney@...> wrote:

I'm looking for a finned aluminum cam cover. Is the Braje (or other) still being marketed?

Jim Bollman

Probably the Homelite or Bearcat they had the hold downs in a different place. They are a more rounded and smooth cover. The Braje, Aerojet and Crofton and a few other boat motor valve covers should all fit.

On Feb 24, 2020, at 4:15 PM, Plandersen <pkandersen@...> wrote:

I have an aluminum valve cover when a guy gave me a bunch of crosley stuff.  It may have been off of a boat motor.  The hold down studs are in the wrong place for it to fit my Crosley.  Any idea what it might fit on?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...

On Feb 24, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Robert Connearney via Groups.Io <rconnearney@...> wrote:

John Stein

I have a used braje cover if anyone interested $40 plus shipping.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 3:25 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
Probably the Homelite or Bearcat they had the hold downs in a different place. They are a more rounded and smooth cover. The Braje, Aerojet and Crofton and a few other boat motor valve covers should all fit.

I have an aluminum valve cover when a guy gave me a bunch of crosley stuff.  It may have been off of a boat motor.  The hold down studs are in the wrong place for it to fit my Crosley.  Any idea what it might fit on?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...

jeff

Hi John, I  can paypal you $60 right now.

Jeff

Sent from my jphone

Date: 2/24/20 3:57 PM (GMT-08:00)

I have an aluminum valve cover when a guy gave me a bunch of crosley stuff.  It may have been off of a boat motor.  The hold down studs are in the wrong place for it to fit my Crosley.  Any idea what it might fit on?  Kent

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...

Plandersen

I would be interested.  Anyone need the crazy one I have?  Kent

On Feb 24, 2020, at 3:57 PM, John Stein <johnkstein@...> wrote:

Kent Andersen
PO Box 364
Royal City, WA  99357

Phone 509-346-1500
Fax 509-346-1540
Cell 509-760-5881
Email pkandersen@...

John Stein

Okay so I have all kinds of replies. Just to let everyone know I just purchased a whole kit cam cover intake header side plates and oil pan took about 2 months. and was told he will still take orders on everything except header which will no longer be produced.the # I have is 323-388-9927 Thank you everyone for your interest.
John Stein