Topics

Unknown objects

Joe Brownsberger

What are these bolts for? Also what is that metal angle shelf thing on the chassis? Yellow arrows are for the bolts and red arrow is for the shelf thing.

Robert Kirk

And the vehicle is???  Red arrows look like the fresh air scoop under a VC, possibly.

Joe Brownsberger

1949 crosley station wagon

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019, 12:58 PM Robert Kirk via Groups.Io <kirkbrit=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
And the vehicle is???  Red arrows look like the fresh air scoop under a VC, possibly.

Tim Hamblen

Hydraulic or mechanical brakes. If hydraulic I believe the master cylinder goes on there. My 49 is a mech brake and I just looked under it and tr does not have that. My 50 is at home so I cannot confirm w/o looking.Is the red arrow also pointing towards front of car ? We need some orientation.

Joe Brownsberger

Mechanical breaks and yes it is pointing towards thar front of the car.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019, 3:31 PM Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
Hydraulic or mechanical brakes. If hydraulic I believe the master cylinder goes on there. My 49 is a mech brake and I just looked under it and tr does not have that. My 50 is at home so I cannot confirm w/o looking.Is the red arrow also pointing towards front of car ? We need some orientation.

Tim Hamblen

Well, I am at home and checked my 50. Yes it's the master cylinder bracket. My very early  49 w/ mechanical brakes has no such bracket. Your's must be some transitional frame going from mechanicals to hydraulic.

Joe Brownsberger

I check the one book I had and I also found a lubrication page with it showing the master cylinder bracket. But I am still clue less about those bolts and what they are for.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019, 5:11 PM Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
Well, I am at home and checked my 50. Yes it's the master cylinder bracket. My very early  49 w/ mechanical brakes has no such bracket. Your's must be some transitional frame going from mechanicals to hydraulic.

Spock Arnold

Yes 49 could have had almost any combination of brakes, gauges, hubcaps, lights etc etc.  It really was a transitional year

On Jan 8, 2019 5:10 PM, "Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io" <flinttim@...> wrote:
Well, I am at home and checked my 50. Yes it's the master cylinder bracket. My very early  49 w/ mechanical brakes has no such bracket. Your's must be some transitional frame going from mechanicals to hydraulic.

Jim Bollman

Edited

If there are equivalent bolts or bolt holes on the opposite frame rail from the two yellow arrows it may be the left over hardware from the brake equalization bar for mechanical brakes.  The bracket may have been added either bolted or welded on to convert to hydraulic brakes. Crosley made a bracket that they sold to do the conversion, I have attached a photo. There are more photos in the Restoration Album on the Crosley-Gang site of the bracket.

On Jan 8, 2019, at 12:33 AM, Joe Brownsberger <jbraunsberg@...> wrote:

What are these bolts for? Also what is that metal angle shelf thing on the chassis? Yellow arrows are for the bolts and red arrow is for the shelf thing. <20190108_003027.jpg>

Ron D.

Judging from the picture, the frame has the master cylinder bracket, but no master cylinder, and the bolts that used to hold the mechanical brake equalization bar, but there is no bar there. This leads me to believe that Fred Flintstone owned this car, and used his own braking system.
Or, since the body is off the car, the prior owner pulled the mechanical system off, with intent of adding hydraulic brakes.

Joe Brownsberger

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.