From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of robert@...
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2018 1:50 AM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] Transmission question / upgrade

I have a 1950 Crosley station wagon. I'd like to make it more of a daily driver by upgrading the transmission, specifically something with spiral cut gears and synchronizers. I've seen pictures of a Crofton Bug transmission and it appears to have exactly what I'm looking for. Can a Crofton Bug transmission be mated to a Crosley engine and tranny cross member?

Thank you
Robert

Jane Altman

I know the Crosley transmission is a challenge, but I agree with Steve.  Since squirting my Crosley people have stopped by to share stories of people who used these as daily driver "back in the day".  It's party of the fun of owning a Crosley.
Favorite story: A guy drives his Crosley to a bar, stops to have a drink or two with friends.  His friends, after engaging him into sharing a few, run outside and lift his Crosley into some milk crates.  Will, you can imagine the laughter when he comes out of the bar and tried to go home...

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 7:48 AM <robert@...> wrote:
I have a 1950 Crosley station wagon. I'd like to make it more of a daily driver by upgrading the transmission, specifically something with spiral cut gears and synchronizers. I've seen pictures of a Crofton Bug transmission and it appears to have exactly what I'm looking for. Can a Crofton Bug transmission be mated to a Crosley engine and tranny cross member?

Thank you
Robert

Steve

Also finding a top-shift variant of the Crofton transmission could be challenging.  The majority of vehicles using the T96 were side shift for steering column mounted shifters.

To mate the Crofton transmission (T96 Jeep / Rambler / Kaiser) transmission to the Crosley engine, you need a Crofton bell housing.  That will be difficult to find.  The crossmember is not a fit.  The Crofton transmission is much larger than the Crosley transmission.  Next you have the problem of adapting the closed torque tube of the Crosley to transmission.  I own both a Crofton Bug and Crosleys.  I recommend practicing your double-clutching on the Crosley before attempting to do put the Bug transmission into your Crosley.

-Steve M.