Topics

Transmission pops out of gear

Mike P

HI,

My '51 Hot Shot wouldn't stay in 2nd or 3rd gear when I got it.

I was told the shifter poppets were bad so sent it to Butch who did a nice
job with it. Now it stays in second but still pops out of third when coasting.
The 3rd gear poppet is not as stiff as the other shifter assembly
I have, but the other one won't go into 2nd at all and 1st is really weird...

The gears look fine.

Any ideas how to get it to stay in third gear??

seb fontana

check bell housing alinement and trans pilot bushing for wear.

Matt Tritt

Not sure why it does, and I’m afraid of causing problems for people with vintage small farm machinery, but Economy Power King tractors use Crosley transmissions and differentials. Since the differentials are powering portal axles, there’s very little stress on the working parts. I’ve never heard of any transmission or diff problems with Power Kings, so you might consider watching out for them on the garden tractor discussion sites.

--
Matt Tritt
14160 El Camino Real

Mike P

I will check alignment, don't want to remove the engine or trans so I don't think
I can get to the pilot bushing.

I found rebuild info for the shifter on garden tractor talk(!)

https://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/20841-how-to-repair-a-t92-transmission-shifter-button/

Jim Bollman

Does it pop out when you are coasting on level ground or only when going down a hill? I have had and have several old cars, not just Crosleys and a tractor that pops out of gear if I try coasting down a hill letting the engine break me. I just got use to resting my hand on the shifter in those situations. One a 50 Ford truck had just had the transmission fully rebuilt, shifted great but you had to hold in gear engine breaking down a hill. Not saying this should be normal but not uncommon.