Topics

Transmission adapter

mljdrl@...

I need an adapter: Crosley to Sprite transmission. Anyone have one for sale, or know of a blueprint for one? I know a competent machinist can design/produce one, but I'm hoping to avoid the hassle of this.

Thanks,

David Lambert

David Reina <reinadesigns@...>

Hi David,

I don’t have the information for you but I hope you share what you learn.  I think the bell housing side is pretty straightforward but the tailstock needs to have an adapter for the torque tube.  In the case of a Sprite tranny the tailstock is probably aluminum and so perhaps the torque tube adapter may need to also be made of aluminum and TIG welded to the tailstock.  Also depending on the length of the tranny the driveshaft and torque tube probably will need to be shortened.

I’ve also heard of people using a Datsun 5 speed.  However again I don’t know the details of how it all was worked out.  I was researching the Datsun transmissions once and found that there is a 5 speed that uses the top gear at a 1 to 1 ratio (a close ratio box) , and other Datsuns where the 5th gear is an overdrive gear.

I know Barry Seel has a different tranny in one of his Hotshots or SS but he did away with the torque tube and built a link system to keep the rear located properly.

I have a unidentified 4 speed gearbox (British I think) with the adapter on the bell housing side.  I think it still needs work on the tailstock end.  It came from a friend with an H mod Jabro.

David Reina
79 Guernsey Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
347-482-4657

On Dec 4, 2016, at 12:38 PM, mljdrl@... [Crosley_Gang] <Crosley_Gang@...> wrote:

I need an adapter: Crosley to Sprite transmission. Anyone have one for sale, or know of a blueprint for one? I know a competent machinist can design/produce one, but I'm hoping to avoid the hassle of this.

Thanks,

David Lambert

fred@...

The British MOWOG Morris, Wolseley, MG was a common(?) Crosley tranny replacement long ago.

Curious as to whether you ever got design specs or a source reference. Thanks.  email: lftrn97@...