Topics

Trailer tie down locations

Tom Gerhard

Big week here -- getting my (formerly my Dad's) '51 Super Sports back from Ted Dellacamera next week after many years in Dad's and then my garage.   Planning to celebrate with a new 7x14 enclosed trailer.   The dealer will install 4 D rings in the trailer for tie downs -- are there any guidance on where to put them?  I assume they would typically be near the front and rear and a bit inboard from the edges.

crosleyshortsport

You are correct on the location. While Ted has the car, have him install the frame mount tie down parts for you. He has them for sale, and you will be glad you have them.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 10:45 PM Tom Gerhard <tom@...> wrote:
Big week here -- getting my (formerly my Dad's) '51 Super Sports back from Ted Dellacamera next week after many years in Dad's and then my garage.   Planning to celebrate with a new 7x14 enclosed trailer.   The dealer will install 4 D rings in the trailer for tie downs -- are there any guidance on where to put them?  I assume they would typically be near the front and rear and a bit inboard from the edges.

Spock Arnold

Correct , just remember you have a 12 foot car and a 14 foot trailer.  You dont have a lot of extra room.  The tie downs need to be placed with that in mind.

On Jun 26, 2019 10:45 PM, Tom Gerhard <tom@...> wrote:
Big week here -- getting my (formerly my Dad's) '51 Super Sports back from Ted Dellacamera next week after many years in Dad's and then my garage.   Planning to celebrate with a new 7x14 enclosed trailer.   The dealer will install 4 D rings in the trailer for tie downs -- are there any guidance on where to put them?  I assume they would typically be near the front and rear and a bit inboard from the edges.

Dennis Wilkinson

You are correct on the location. While Ted has the car, have him install the frame mount tie down parts for you. He has them for sale, and you will be glad you have them.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 10:45 PM Tom Gerhard <tom@...> wrote:

Big week here -- getting my (formerly my Dad's) '51 Super Sports back from Ted Dellacamera next week after many years in Dad's and then my garage.   Planning to celebrate with a new 7x14 enclosed trailer.   The dealer will install 4 D rings in the trailer for tie downs -- are there any guidance on where to put them?  I assume they would typically be near the front and rear and a bit inboard from the edges.

Barry Smedley

Yankee Crosley

You are correct on the location. While Ted has the car, have him install the frame mount tie down parts for you. He has them for sale, and you will be glad you have them.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 10:45 PM Tom Gerhard <tom@...> wrote:

Big week here -- getting my (formerly my Dad's) '51 Super Sports back from Ted Dellacamera next week after many years in Dad's and then my garage.   Planning to celebrate with a new 7x14 enclosed trailer.   The dealer will install 4 D rings in the trailer for tie downs -- are there any guidance on where to put them?  I assume they would typically be near the front and rear and a bit inboard from the edges.

This message contains confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any review, disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message. (English) Ce message contient des informations confidentielles destinées uniquement à l'usage du(des) destinataire(s) nommé(s) ci-dessus. Toute consultation, distribution, copie et utilisation du contenu de ce message est strictement prohibée. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, SVP avisez l'expéditeur par réponse immédiate et effacez le message original. (French)

L.E. Hardee

When I was in a situation where the space for tie downs was too short for the ratchet to fit (ie. 12' car in 14' trailer), I have run the straps from the front of the car to the rear trailer tie down and the straps from the rear of the car to front trailer tie down.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:13 AM Barry Smedley <BSmedley@...> wrote:

Yankee Crosley

[...]

Jim Bollman

If you want the trailer for more general hauling/flexibility consider having E-Track installed front to back then you can put anchors where you need them and haul multiple things tied down. Cost a lot more than 4 D rings but handy. Besides 4 tie down hoops I have the E-Track finings to drop a 2X6 or 2X4 in so I can block the tires front and back.

On Jun 26, 2019, at 10:45 PM, Tom Gerhard <tom@...> wrote:

Big week here -- getting my (formerly my Dad's) '51 Super Sports back from Ted Dellacamera next week after many years in Dad's and then my garage.   Planning to celebrate with a new 7x14 enclosed trailer.   The dealer will install 4 D rings in the trailer for tie downs -- are there any guidance on where to put them?  I assume they would typically be near the front and rear and a bit inboard from the edges.

Tom Gerhard

Thanks all.   For now, the trailer will only be used for the Crosley, but I will look into doing E-Track as some point; I like the idea of a 2x4 to block the tires; in the short term, I may screw one to the floor in front.
I'll ask Ted to make sure to add the tie down parts.

Tom Gerhard

Jim,   how far apart do you have your e-track spaced on the floor?  Do you tie straight down on each side, or do an X?

The D rings have worked well for the car, but as you predicted, other uses for the trailer are arising, and I'ver ordered 4 lengths; 2 for the floor and one for either side.

Jim Bollman

I would have to go out and measure for the exact measurement, but they are spaced to be inside the tire track. I tie straight.

On Oct 17, 2019, at 9:59 PM, Tom Gerhard <tom@...> wrote:

Jim,   how far apart do you have your e-track spaced on the floor?  Do you tie straight down on each side, or do an X?

The D rings have worked well for the car, but as you predicted, other uses for the trailer are arising, and I'ver ordered 4 lengths; 2 for the floor and one for either side.

Ron D.

Anyone have some pics of the frame mounted tie downs? It's always best to see a few ideas, before making something permanent.