Topics

Torque tube

Has anyone converted a Crosley rearend to an open driveshaft. If so can you tell me what's involved?

Gary Cochrane

Jim- I did this on my SS.  I used an adaptor that bolted up to the differential.  I got it from fellow member Mike Stoner in Chico CA.
Don't know if he has any more.  He is not computer friendly, his phone is 510-604-8666 and an email is shown as  mstoner19091@....

Gary Cochrane

On ‎Thursday‎, ‎January‎ ‎10‎, ‎2019‎ ‎04‎:‎46‎:‎43‎ ‎AM‎ ‎PST, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:

Has anyone converted a Crosley rearend to an open driveshaft. If so can you tell me what's involved?

David

Edited

Here are some pictures of my former H-mod.  That’s a Crosley diff, mated to a Fiat Cabrio transmission.

David Lambert

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jim- I did this on my SS.  I used an adaptor that bolted up to the differential.  I got it from fellow member Mike Stoner in Chico CA.

Don't know if he has any more.  He is not computer friendly, his phone is 510-604-8666 and an email is shown as  mstoner19091@....

Gary Cochrane

On ‎Thursday‎, ‎January‎ ‎10‎, ‎2019‎ ‎04‎:‎46‎:‎43‎ ‎AM‎ ‎PST, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:

Has anyone converted a Crosley rearend to an open driveshaft. If so can you tell me what's involved?

Robert Connearney

I think I've seen lots of Crosley type rear ends as factory installations in small tractors, lawn mowers, golf carts, etc., with open drives, including belts & pulleys. So there must be sources at least for oil seals/housings. May need to fabricate or machine a hub to connect a U-joint.

Here are some pictures of my former H-mod.  That’s a Crosley diff, mated to a Fiat Cabrio transmission.

David Lambert

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jim- I did this on my SS.  I used an adaptor that bolted up to the differential.  I got it from fellow member Mike Stoner in Chico CA.

Don't know if he has any more.  He is not computer friendly, his phone is 510-604-8666 and an email is shown as  mstoner19091@....

Gary Cochrane

On ‎Thursday‎, ‎January‎ ‎10‎, ‎2019‎ ‎04‎:‎46‎:‎43‎ ‎AM‎ ‎PST, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:

Has anyone converted a Crosley rearend to an open driveshaft. If so can you tell me what's involved?

Thanks to all who responded. Great looking installation David. If you get a chance, where did you get the  trans. Also does anyone know a specific brand/model of any of the auxiliary vehicles that used a Crosley differential?

David

Edited

The attached file has details on the Crosley diff adapter I had made for my H mod.  The part was made by eMachineshop.com out of 6061 aluminum.  The oil seal that is pressed into the front of the piece is National seal 471763 or equivalent.

I got my Fiat Cabrio tranny from a friend.  I would not recommend this tranny.  While it works well for racing, it is hard to adapt to a Crosley engine.  I would suggest a Sprite rib case box.  Seb Fontanna made an adapter for one of these boxes for me; it is much more straightforward than the Fiat box.  If you are not bound by vintage racing rules, a 5 speed of some sort would make sense.

David