Topics

Tires ?

Mike S

Our '48 wagon came with 2 sets of tires.....One set of 480 x 12 trailer tires on trailer rims....and one set of what appears to be original 4.5 x 12 tires.  The pair on the front must be reproductions of the Goodyear super cushions, as they have virtually no miles on them,...... but the rubber looks old like they were old NOS tires (no sign of age cracking).  The 2 tires on the back are originals, but are nearly worn out.

I see a vendor who advertises in the Quarterly offers tires.  What types does he have?  I've sent an email to them to inquire.  The spare tire is an old original (also a goodyear) but is no good.  I need to put a new tire on it & want to know what the options are.
Mike S

Spock Arnold

Mike, Tony Smith offers a variety of types and qualities. You can select from them.  They are at best 480 x 12.  The 450btire is made but tough to find and expensive.   Please keep your old originals as they have valut to those of us that do concours class restorations and need them.  They are not safe to drive on but are for show.   I for one would buy good originals to show with

On Jun 24, 2019 11:39 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
Our '48 wagon came with 2 sets of tires.....One set of 480 x 12 trailer tires on trailer rims....and one set of what appears to be original 4.5 x 12 tires.  The pair on the front must be reproductions of the Goodyear super cushions, as they have virtually no miles on them,...... but the rubber looks old like they were old NOS tires (no sign of age cracking).  The 2 tires on the back are originals, but are nearly worn out.

I see a vendor who advertises in the Quarterly offers tires.  What types does he have?  I've sent an email to them to inquire.  The spare tire is an old original (also a goodyear) but is no good.  I need to put a new tire on it & want to know what the options are.
Mike S

Ron D.

Spock, I threw 5 regular and 2 snow tires on my tire pile, My 49 sedan that I inherited from my dad had what may not be the original, but that period tires on it. With tubes, the 4 mounted tires held air.  There was also 2 unmounted snows in the back. I bought 5 new radials for it, so I threw the old ones on the tire pile, never thinking that anyone would have a use for them. I am coming to Wauseon, so if someone is interested in these, send me a message.
Ron

Mike S

The old spare I pulled off (I have my own tire changing machine I bought out of a gas station that was being converted to a "convenience store") has a bad cut on the side wall, but I think it would still hold air and not be noticeable when mounted on the car as a spare.  I'll bring it along to Wauseon instead of throwing it away.

Regarding the others, it would be nice to have 2 more original type tires, but I'm not really a concours kind of a guy.  I guess we'll see.

Spock Arnold

Well it is hard to find nice 450s and they are really useful to me for showing.

On Jun 25, 2019 7:07 AM, "Ron D." <rdole417@...> wrote:
Spock, I threw 5 regular and 2 snow tires on my tire pile, My 49 sedan that I inherited from my dad had what may not be the original, but that period tires on it. With tubes, the 4 mounted tires held air.  There was also 2 unmounted snows in the back. I bought 5 new radials for it, so I threw the old ones on the tire pile, never thinking that anyone would have a use for them. I am coming to Wauseon, so if someone is interested in these, send me a message.
Ron

Spock Arnold

Yes bring them . There is a demand for original matched sets in good condition.  If you want to you can sell them in the trading post!

On Jun 25, 2019 7:07 AM, "Ron D." <rdole417@...> wrote:
Spock, I threw 5 regular and 2 snow tires on my tire pile, My 49 sedan that I inherited from my dad had what may not be the original, but that period tires on it. With tubes, the 4 mounted tires held air.  There was also 2 unmounted snows in the back. I bought 5 new radials for it, so I threw the old ones on the tire pile, never thinking that anyone would have a use for them. I am coming to Wauseon, so if someone is interested in these, send me a message.
Ron

Andy Drake

Tires come in a couple of different sizes and constructions. Many owners use off the shelf trailer tires in two sizes: 480x12 and 530x12, depending on availability, the desired authenticity, and how close to original they want the car to "feel." For the most part, these are bias-ply tires that require really high tire pressures and roll like the car is on rails -- meaning, really stiff. 530x12 is more substantial looking, and 480x12 appears thinner (because they are).

Other owners want modern steel belted radial tires, and those come in mostly metric 12" sizes. The sidewalls are quite a bit more noticeable and are mostly blackwall, They also look like something you'd buy now and probably have more aggressive tread versus the period designs of the trailer tires. By and large, if you put them on, they handle more similar to a modern car and don't feel quite as punishing to drive. They typically track more evenly and are generally more forgiving.  That said, many owners go for the more factory look of the bias-ply if they aren't putting tons of miles on the car and want that authentic appearance -- I have cars with both, but would generally go with radials if given the choice.

Be sure to get tubes as Crosley rims can slowly leak over time as they do not have sealed centers. Our long time tire vendor, Tony Smith,  can help with all this and even reserve a set of tires in advance if you pick them up in Wauseon. Awesome guy to work with!