Timing the Crosley engine

Joe & Gerry Lee

I own a 48 panel delivery.  A friend is helping me getting it to run reliably.  He is a Mechanical Engineer not an Auto Mechanic.  He wants to TIME the Crosley using a Timing Gun.  Can this be done?

Jim Bollman

If you really want to use your timing light I can look up the directions but I have not used a timing light on a Crosley for over 40 years. Here is the way I set the timing. Set your points to the proper gap and connect a tachometer to your engine, I have an old Sears Dwell/Tach unit that I use. Start your Crosley and block or set your throttle for about 2000 rpm. Loosen the locking screw on the distributor and slowly turn back and forth till you maximize the rpm and tighten the distributor screw. You have now set the timing for best performance and economy. You have to do this at above 2000 rpm so that the mechanical advance is fully advanced.

Jim...

On Jul 26, 2021, at 4:48 PM, topirish via groups.io <topirish@...> wrote:

I own a 48 panel delivery.  A friend is helping me getting it to run reliably.  He is a Mechanical Engineer not an Auto Mechanic.  He wants to TIME the Crosley using a Timing Gun.  Can this be done?

Jim Liberty

Thanks Jim. I'm going to save this email.      .....................Jim.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 3:28 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jim.  We don’t have a Dwell/Tach unit so if you could find those directions I would appreciate a copy.  Crosley people are the greatest!!

On Jul 26, 2021, at 6:31 PM, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

[...]

Conventional Timing (Roughly from the manual.) - You will need a 6 volt timing light or a 12 volt timing light and a 12 volt battery to power it, there are old neon timing lights that don’t need power but they are real dim.
• Attach your timing life to the number one spark plug.
• Start the engine and run it at idle speed.
• Loosen the locking screw on the distributor. Rotate the distributor clockwise or counter clockwise until the first timing mark lines up in the bell housing hole shows. That is 12 degrees advanced. Turning clockwise if you want more advances.
• Tighten the locking screw on the distributor.
Do not idle above 700 RPM or the mechanical advance will start to effect setting the timing.

As I said I haven’t used this method for many years so if anyone wants to add or correct anything jump in.

On Jul 26, 2021, at 6:42 PM, Joe & Gerry Lee via groups.io <topirish@...> wrote:

[...]

Got this tip from a shy member of Crosley-Gang.

"I like to time with a test light.  Engine off ignition on. Points open light is on.  Points closed light is off. Advance weight are not advanced any.
Robert

I assume he rotates the engine till the first mark shows points the test light at the timing hole and rotates the distributor till the light comes on. Never tried this approach.

Jim...

[...]

Tim Hamblen

You can use a timing light but you'll have to drag a 12 volt battery up to the car to run the light. You can time with a vacuum gauge too.Run the engine up above the advance (maybe 900-1000 rpm) and advance distributor until you get maximum inches of vacuum on the gauge. Then retard timing 1 inch of vacuum.
Tighten it down.