Topics

Strange Engine Water Pump

Jim Bollman

Saw a posting for an engine for sale at a Mecum Auction
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FR0119-349509/crosley-1948-crosley-motor/

When I looked at it they claim it is a 1948 but the serial number and block styles indicates it is probably a 1950 engine. What is strange is the water pump, anyone seen one this style? What was the application?

Other thing I noticed is it doesn't appear to have a bolt to hold on the front pulley.

More pictures at auction link.

Barb Kapraun

Kap said the water pump is from a generator.

On Jan 3, 2019, at 8:55 AM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

Saw a posting for an engine for sale at a Mecum Auction
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FR0119-349509/crosley-1948-crosley-motor/

When I looked at it they claim it is a 1948 but the serial number and block styles indicates it is probably a 1950 engine. What is strange is the water pump, anyone seen one this style? What was the application?

Other thing I noticed is it doesn't appear to have a bolt to hold on the front pulley.

More pictures at auction link.

<StrangeCrosleyWaterPump.jpg><StrangeCrosleyWaterPump_Back.jpg><StrangeCrosleyWaterPump_Pully.jpg><StrangeCrosleyWaterPump_SN.jpg>

Barb Kapraun

Kap also said, "This water pump was driven by a jack shaft since the unit had a magneto with no need for a generator or battery (crank started)."

On Jan 3, 2019, at 12:02 PM, Barb Kapraun <backap1@...> wrote:

Kap said the water pump is from a generator.

On Jan 3, 2019, at 8:55 AM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

Saw a posting for an engine for sale at a Mecum Auction
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FR0119-349509/crosley-1948-crosley-motor/

When I looked at it they claim it is a 1948 but the serial number and block styles indicates it is probably a 1950 engine. What is strange is the water pump, anyone seen one this style? What was the application?

Other thing I noticed is it doesn't appear to have a bolt to hold on the front pulley.

More pictures at auction link.

<StrangeCrosleyWaterPump.jpg><StrangeCrosleyWaterPump_Back.jpg><StrangeCrosleyWaterPump_Pully.jpg><StrangeCrosleyWaterPump_SN.jpg>

Jim Bollman

Could be but it is different than the several generator engines I have had or the  ones I have seen that I paid attention to. I know Crosley build a lot of different versions of the generator setup.

On Jan 3, 2019, at 12:08 PM, Barb Kapraun <backap1@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim Hamblen

Jim, I looked at the pics from Mecum earlier today. They are billing it as "art" (go figure) so I'm not sure anything is right. It appears to me the pump is being held on only by the hoses. It's not even bolted in the right place. I have one of the jackshafts that replace the generator on my new build and it would not fit into that space at all. It appears to be just odd parts bolted together for the sake of (again) "art". I know,one thing, I have a genuine 48 or earlier "art" engine that I would gladly sell for a grand.

Bid was up to $1000 when I looked last night.

Jim Bollman

Mystery Solved

Dave Edwards sent me photos of two pages of the Thermo-King manual, that was where it was used. They had a governor mounted to be driven off the fan belt and the water pump was driven off the back of the governor.

Ed Limke

That’s a themoking unit