Topics

Startup Timing - maintenance and pre-drive

Paula W

The recent thread on startup problems surfaced a question for me.

To help maintain a running Crosley (mine is an early 47 sedan that I can take around the neighborhood), how long should we run the motor under the following two situations. Assume ambient temperatures around 75-85 degrees.

1) for the periodic garage start to just to circulate fluids. (The car remains parked.)

2) for the warmup period before you take off on a drive.

Thank you. - Paula

Saltsgaver, Mike

For #1, I usually run the engine long enough that the tail pipe gets warm.  This seems to be long enough to get the moisture out of the muffler so it doesn’t rust out prematurely.

For #2, I usually take right off after the car runs.  Mine likes full choke to catch (initially start), half choke & running for about 10 seconds, then push the choke in & take off.  Mine has the Tilliston carb.

Hella Electronics Corporation, 43811 Plymouth Oaks Blvd., 48170, Plymouth Michigan
This document is to be treated confidentially. Its contents are not to be passed on, duplicated, exploited or disclosed without our express permission. All rights reserved, especially the right to apply for protective rights.

Paula W

Thank you Mike.

For #1 (maintenance turnover) I had no idea at all.

For #2 (before a drive) I had been previously advised to get the engine of an old car to normal operating temperature before putting a load on it. When I first tried that I was standing in my driveway for close to 10 min watching the temperature gauge before I gave up and just started to driving. It didn't even move a quarter of the way to "N" before I gave up.

dale@servicemotors.net

A good warm up period is the car gets up to operating temp.

On Jul 15, 2019, at 2:16 PM, Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:

The recent thread on startup problems surfaced a question for me.

To help maintain a running Crosley (mine is an early 47 sedan that I can take around the neighborhood), how long should we run the motor under the following two situations. Assume ambient temperatures around 75-85 degrees.

1) for the periodic garage start to just to circulate fluids. (The car remains parked.)

2) for the warmup period before you take off on a drive.

Thank you. - Paula

Paula W

Dale -  I have a note that 180 - 190 degrees F measured just above the plugs on the driver's side is normal. May I consider this "operating temp"?

Paula W

Sorry - to be clear I was first considering the "N" on the temperature gauge as the target for warm up. I'm now wondering if I should just use the temperature gun until I get a feel for it. I'll have to try again but I'm pretty sure I got to 180 with the needle still below "N" when I last tried.

I know we can warm a car up with easy driving to start with. I'm trying to find the sweet spot of pre-motion warmup to driving warmup.

And yes, I may be over-analyzing this.

dale@servicemotors.net

Perfect