Topics

Speedometer Repair

Andy Drake

Anyone have recommendations for (reliable) shops to handle speedometer overhaul? I have both a round speedometer and a square one that make a shrieking sound when you drive them. I believe it's because the whole mechanism has dried out or something is sticking -- both still work sorta of (needle bounce) and it sure would be nice to be able to tell how fast I'm going (within +/- 50% or so).

Thanks!

nobadrivers

Are you sure the issue isn't caused by the cable?  Can you drive the speedometer with an electric drill to eliminate the cable and see if the speedometer still makes the noise?  Just a thought.  Would hate to see you go through the expense of a speedometer tune up only to find out it's the cable giving you the problem.

dale@servicemotors.net

Yes service motors does them.  866-449-0029.

On Sep 1, 2018, at 7:16 AM, Andy Drake <drakeap@...> wrote:

Anyone have recommendations for (reliable) shops to handle speedometer overhaul? I have both a round speedometer and a square one that make a shrieking sound when you drive them. I believe it's because the whole mechanism has dried out or something is sticking -- both still work sorta of (needle bounce) and it sure would be nice to be able to tell how fast I'm going (within +/- 50% or so).

Thanks!

nobadrivers

Dale, good to know!  Just Crosley vehicles or other vintage vehicles too?

Jim Bollman

After checking if it really is the speedometer head or the cable, you will know what to try next. If it is the cable lubricate and make sure there are no sharp turns in the cable, if it is the head you might try a "small amount" light oil in around the drive opening and spin the drive. DO NOT use WD-40, it will eventually gum it up with time.

Jim...

On Sep 1, 2018, at 10:16 AM, Andy Drake <drakeap@...> wrote:

Anyone have recommendations for (reliable) shops to handle speedometer overhaul? I have both a round speedometer and a square one that make a shrieking sound when you drive them. I believe it's because the whole mechanism has dried out or something is sticking -- both still work sorta of (needle bounce) and it sure would be nice to be able to tell how fast I'm going (within +/- 50% or so).

Thanks!

L.E. Hardee

My suggestion would be to unhook the speedo cable from the speedometer and spray the speedometer input with penetrating oil.  The rotating shaft sounds dry to me.  After you spray, rotate the input by hand, then spray a little more.  I would also lube the cable while I had it disconnected.  I have always used vasoline petroleum jelly on the bottom 1/3 of the inner cable only.  It will ride up the rest of the cable as you drive.   If you over lube the top of the cable, the grease can leak out at the speedo head and drip on your legs.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 10:39 AM, nobadrivers <scanner2@...> wrote:
Are you sure the issue isn't caused by the cable?  Can you drive the speedometer with an electric drill to eliminate the cable and see if the speedometer still makes the noise?  Just a thought.  Would hate to see you go through the expense of a speedometer tune up only to find out it's the cable giving you the problem.

nobadrivers

Forgot to mention in my post if you do use an electric drill to spin the speedometer use a variable speed drill on the lowest speed.  Tri-Flo Bike Cable Lube works great on the cable too.

Spock Arnold

Andy, give me a call when you get a chance.
Dave Anspach

On Sep 1, 2018 10:16 AM, Andy Drake <drakeap@...> wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for (reliable) shops to handle speedometer overhaul? I have both a round speedometer and a square one that make a shrieking sound when you drive them. I believe it's because the whole mechanism has dried out or something is sticking -- both still work sorta of (needle bounce) and it sure would be nice to be able to tell how fast I'm going (within +/- 50% or so).

Thanks!

crosleyshortsport

Andy,  When you have "bounce" it usually means the cable is ready to break. A new cable will most likely fix the issue. Tri-flow does work well, or lightweight sewing machine oil from Jo-Ann fabrics works well also. Get the zoom spout, easy to reach all areas and control amount needed.
Jeffrey

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 1:11 PM Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Andy, give me a call when you get a chance.
Dave Anspach

On Sep 1, 2018 10:16 AM, Andy Drake <drakeap@...> wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for (reliable) shops to handle speedometer overhaul? I have both a round speedometer and a square one that make a shrieking sound when you drive them. I believe it's because the whole mechanism has dried out or something is sticking -- both still work sorta of (needle bounce) and it sure would be nice to be able to tell how fast I'm going (within +/- 50% or so).

Thanks!

kirkbrit@...

Graphite NOT oil on gauge cables and all locks.  Petroleum bases attract dirt.  Ditto WD40 and other kerosene bases which dry out and turn to paraffin.

Tim Hamblen

Likely the cable.One of mine made that noise, new cable fixed it. Any parts store will have one.

Richard Williams

There is a small hole at they top of the back side of the speedometer. I put several drops of good old W-D40 in the felt. You can turn the speedometer using a variable speed drill. Make sure it turns the right direction. Do this several times. It frees the shaft and the put in 2 drops of 3 & 1 oil. Mine worked fine after this. Also pull the speedo cable out and lub with black grafite. Puff it in as you reinsert the cable a little at a time. If you use oil you will have a mess. Good luck.

On Saturday, September 1, 2018 7:39 AM, nobadrivers <scanner2@...> wrote:

Are you sure the issue isn't caused by the cable?  Can you drive the speedometer with an electric drill to eliminate the cable and see if the speedometer still makes the noise?  Just a thought.  Would hate to see you go through the expense of a speedometer tune up only to find out it's the cable giving you the problem.

Andy Drake

I'd like to thank everyone for their speedometer tops and tricks.  I did a little of all the above: a few drops of 3-in-1 in the little hole on the outlet, little more on the bushing, and lubed the cable with graphite. So far, so good: no more squealing and (relatively) smoother needle rise and fall.

In case anyone else needs to do this, the cordless power drill trick works very well -- be sure to set it to low in reverse. Oil everything on the speedometer and then gently spin it around . Going hog wild is not necessary as the speedometer will free up relatively quickly.

I also found rubbing the chrome bezel with a little tinfoil dampened with water will remove alot of surface corrosion and brighten things up. A great trick I used on bicycles.

crosleyshortsport

Glad you were able to straighten it out . You really are "Handy Andy "  😎

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018, 1:47 PM Andy Drake <drakeap@...> wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone for their speedometer tops and tricks.  I did a little of all the above: a few drops of 3-in-1 in the little hole on the outlet, little more on the bushing, and lubed the cable with graphite. So far, so good: no more squealing and (relatively) smoother needle rise and fall.

In case anyone else needs to do this, the cordless power drill trick works very well -- be sure to set it to low in reverse. Oil everything on the speedometer and then gently spin it around . Going hog wild is not necessary as the speedometer will free up relatively quickly.

I also found rubbing the chrome bezel with a little tinfoil dampened with water will remove alot of surface corrosion and brighten things up. A great trick I used on bicycles.

Milford Brown

Andy,

Tinfoil is probably hard  to find these days; did you, just like some of the TV cooks, really mean aluminum foil?  If so, sounds like a trick that would be useful on lots of things.

Milford