From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy Farley
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2019 12:32 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] Speedometer cable into transmission

Ok, I'm stuck., My speedometer doesn't work and I can't figure out how to remove the speedo cable at the transmission. Initially the speedo jumped then stopped working. Just trying to fix it.

This message contains confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any review, disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message. (English) Ce message contient des informations confidentielles destinées uniquement à l'usage du(des) destinataire(s) nommé(s) ci-dessus. Toute consultation, distribution, copie et utilisation du contenu de ce message est strictement prohibée. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, SVP avisez l'expéditeur par réponse immédiate et effacez le message original. (French)

Saltsgaver, Mike

A jump might mean a bad thing.  Many old speedometers have a brass driven member into which the cable inserts into.  Over time the lubrication dries out and that driven member tries to stick in it’s bore.  The speedo cable will start to wrap up, storing a lot of torsional energy.  If your lucky, the cable breaks…..if not, the brass driven member will finally break free from being stuck and will “over spin” the speedo & will break the shaft onto which the needle is attached.  I’ve had this happen a couple of times on Studebakers & Kaisers.  Both times the speedo put out a loud squeal & the needled jumped around but it broke before I could get pulled off the side of the road.

Hella Electronics Corporation, 43811 Plymouth Oaks Blvd., 48170, Plymouth Michigan
This document is to be treated confidentially. Its contents are not to be passed on, duplicated, exploited or disclosed without our express permission. All rights reserved, especially the right to apply for protective rights.

L.E. Hardee

The inner speedometer cable removes from the top only.  You disconnect the cable under the dash at the speedometer and just pull the inner cable out.  The outer cable is attached at the transmission by a clamp held on by one bolt.  After removing the outer cable, the speedometer gear can be removed for inspection or replacement.  The inner cable goes back in from the top side under the dash.  My experience was that the inner cable goes in easy until you get to the last few inches.  I had to twist the cable and push repeatedly until I got the right combination for the cable to insert itself into the speedometer gear.  The outer cable has a hard bend near the transmission to miss the car floor.  This is where most cables break.  That was such a problem on the VC's that a guide was added to clamp over the outer cable to maintain a minimum radius to reduce the stress on the inner cable.  A lot of people just drill a hole in the VC transmission hump and route the cable straight up to the back of the speedometer without bending under the floor and going into the engine compartment.

When you replace the inner cable, most mechanics suggest you only lube the lower 1/3 of it.  If you lube the top of the cable, the excess grease can drip out on your legs as you drive.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 12:31 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
Ok, I'm stuck., My speedometer doesn't work and I can't figure out how to remove the speedo cable at the transmission. Initially the speedo jumped then stopped working. Just trying to fix it.

Andy Farley

So if the inner cable is broken, I'm guessing that you must remove the cable from the transmission to remove the broken piece. Would that be correct?

Jim Bollman

Yes, you need to disconnect from both ends to get both pieces out.

On Jul 1, 2019, at 3:40 PM, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:

So if the inner cable is broken, I'm guessing that you must remove the cable from the transmission to remove the broken piece. Would that be correct?

L.E. Hardee

if inner cable is broken, get the top half out from behind the dash and with needle nose pliers, try to pull out the broken piece from the lower end of the cable.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 3:46 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
Yes, you need to disconnect from both ends to get both pieces out.

On Jul 1, 2019, at 3:40 PM, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:

So if the inner cable is broken, I'm guessing that you must remove the cable from the transmission to remove the broken piece. Would that be correct?

crosleyshortsport

Here is a photo of both ends

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019, 6:02 PM L.E. Hardee <hftsales@...> wrote:
if inner cable is broken, get the top half out from behind the dash and with needle nose pliers, try to pull out the broken piece from the lower end of the cable.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 3:46 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
Yes, you need to disconnect from both ends to get both pieces out.

On Jul 1, 2019, at 3:40 PM, Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:

So if the inner cable is broken, I'm guessing that you must remove the cable from the transmission to remove the broken piece. Would that be correct?

Andy Farley

Thank You all very much!