Topics

speedometer cable hole?

srwils@...

Need some help from the gang...................
I have a 52 VC that I am trying to restore to original. My question is how does the speedometer cable route to the dash unit? Mine has a hole drilled in the transmission tunnel cover straight up from the transmission right into the passenger compartment? This does not look right to have the cable coming right up where people's feet are?

Thanks for any info or pictures.
Scot

Tim Hamblen

As far as I know that's correct. The Youth Project Hot Shot is that way.

crosleyshortsport

Scot,  I went out to look at my super sport and the cable comes offf the back of the speedometer and through the firewall, slightly offset and directly above the accelerator bracket. My cable then goes back through the firewall slightly to the left of the transmission tunnel and into the transmission. All my other Crosleys have an extra upside down "U" cut out above the tunnel, just to the left, that allows the cable access to the transmission without going back through the firewall. I have not taken notice of this difference before. I am not sure if my Super Sport is correct or not, though it looks fine.
         Jeffrey

On Jun 4, 2017 8:24 PM, "srwils via Groups.Io" <srwils=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Need some help from the gang...................
I have a 52 VC that I am trying to restore to original. My question is how does the speedometer cable route to the dash unit? Mine has a hole drilled in the transmission tunnel cover straight up from the transmission right into the passenger compartment? This does not look right to have the cable coming right up where people's feet are?

Thanks for any info or pictures.
Scot

Dave Potts

Not correct. Went under the tunnel past the fire wall through the fire wall
to the speedo on the dash.
Dave

On Jun 4, 2017, at 6:06 PM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Helm

There was a dealer letter showing how to drill another hole in the firewall above the tunnel to get most of the cable away from the passenger’s feet. I thought I had a copy of that letter at one time but haven’t been able to find it now. Maybe someone else has a copy. If it turns up, I’ll scan it and send. Also, if I can remember to do it tomorrow I’ll take another look at mine in the daytime and shoot a couple pictures that show the cable routing.

Rich Helm

L.E. Hardee

You are correct that having the speedo cable come through the tunnel cover is not right.  The cable is supposed to make a hard right turn immediately out of the transmission and go under the cover into the engine compartment and through a factory hole in the firewall to the speedometer.  The hard cable turn caused obvious problems with cable life, hence the hole in the tunnel cover.   The later VC's I have owned had a factory cable guide that bolted over the cable where it exited the transmission and kept the sharp cable curve from being a kinked cable.  This guide was in two stamped sheet metal pieces that bolted over the cable with small screws and nuts.  It kept the cable in about a 2" radius ninety degree bend.  I have seen a few of these loose in old Crosley part bins where mechanics apparently threw them because they are a pain to install.

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 8:24 PM, srwils via Groups.Io <srwils@...> wrote:
Need some help from the gang...................
I have a 52 VC that I am trying to restore to original. My question is how does the speedometer cable route to the dash unit? Mine has a hole drilled in the transmission tunnel cover straight up from the transmission right into the passenger compartment? This does not look right to have the cable coming right up where people's feet are?

Thanks for any info or pictures.
Scot

Jim Bollman

Dave is right, they had a clamp, down at the transmission, to guid it along the transmission and into the engine compartment. I do have (somewhere) a factory service later to the dealers to make the modification you see on yours. The sharp bend to keep the speedometer under the tunnel causes the speedometer cable to break easily. If you're going to show the car in serious competition I would either get it routed under the tunnel or get a copy of the service letter to show the judges and make sure the hole is in the same place as the letter.

Jim...

On Jun 4, 2017, at 9:18 PM, Dave Potts <hoosier37@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the many inputs.

The service letter is posted in the files section here, but I am having a hard time understand where to drill the 3/4" hole.... "Corner where the floor pan joins the floor drive shaft tunnel."

Does anyone have a right angle clamp unit they can take a photo of or have one they are willing to part with?

Thanks all
Scot

Tim Hamblen

I'll add some to the mystery. The Youth Hot Shot has the cable coming thru a hole in the cover. The hole is small enough that the speedo cable ends will not pass thru it. When we took it all apart we had to leave the tunnel cover on the cable . The ends of the cable appear to be factory original ends so the factory had to have assembled it (the cover and cable ) before dropping in car.

L.E. Hardee

May I offer a possible explanation to your HotShot mystery?  Universal cables were sold where you cut the cable to the length you needed and then crimped the end fitting onto the cable using a tool supplied in the kit.  The result looked similar to a factory cable.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 6:44 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:
I'll add some to the mystery. The Youth Hot Shot has the cable coming thru a hole in the cover. The hole is small enough that the speedo cable ends will not pass thru it. When we took it all apart we had to leave the tunnel cover on the cable . The ends of the cable appear to be factory original ends so the factory had to have assembled it (the cover and cable ) before dropping in car.

crosleyshortsport

Tim, The cable will pull out of the sheath. It may be cruddy enough that it feels like it is stuck, however when cleaned up with wd40, it will slide out just like the choke cable.