Topics

Social Media and Crosley Info

Paula W

I'm finding that the Facebook group has lots of great photos and dialog. This discussion board does as well, but there seems to be a lot more activity on Facebook recently. (Am I wrong?)
Any advice for using Facebook as a reference? There is a lot of good info out there that I may not need now but may later...and it rolls off and away.

I think my biggest worry is asking a question that was already answered before....but not being able to tell.

crosleyshortsport

Paula, Many questions need addressing over and over, we are here to help get those Crosleys on the road and out to shows. There are reprints of repair manuals available and a couple of restoration manuals. I would also recommend a notebook of your own for tips and suggestions that you can look back on later. Come and join us at the Crosley Automobile Club 2020 "The Vision Continues" national meet. July 6 - 11 Fulton County Fairgrounds, Wauseon, Ohio. You will be amazed how much you can learn at the meet. Over 100 Crosleys on the grounds !   Jeffrey Ackerman, Chairman of the meet

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020, 1:33 PM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
I'm finding that the Facebook group has lots of great photos and dialog. This discussion board does as well, but there seems to be a lot more activity on Facebook recently. (Am I wrong?)
Any advice for using Facebook as a reference? There is a lot of good info out there that I may not need now but may later...and it rolls off and away.

I think my biggest worry is asking a question that was already answered before....but not being able to tell.

Wes Holliday <wes@...>

On Facebook, or any forums I always cut / paste, then save information to my Crosby file.

Wes

On 2/4/2020 1:33 PM, Paula W wrote:

I'm finding that the Facebook group has lots of great photos and dialog. This discussion board does as well, but there seems to be a lot more activity on Facebook recently. (Am I wrong?)
Any advice for using Facebook as a reference? There is a lot of good info out there that I may not need now but may later...and it rolls off and away.

I think my biggest worry is asking a question that was already answered before....but not being able to tell.

Jim Bollman

Not everyone likes FaceBook so there is a need for both. I find it easier to find things on the Crosley-Gang with simple searches. FaceBook is better for interactive discussions because of the way it is displayed but that is why it is hard to find things. We also don't mind repeat questions if you can't find what you need.

We also have a Chat room where we have scheduled chats twice a week at 10pm EST on Thursdays and Sundays. You can schedule additional chats by posting an invitation here and say when you want to meet and what you want to chat about. When you go into the chat room pick a name, I use my real name and login, no passwd needed.  Chat's are true interactive with the participants all logged in to interact.
http://gang.crosleyautoclub.com/chat/

Don't forget to check out the Files and Photos section of the Crosley-Gang for additional info and help.

Jim...

Bob H.

I know everyone has their own opinion about Facebook and other forms of social media and everyone has their preference. Personally, I tend to prefer the Facebook format to email. I've joined this group there as well as a number of other car related groups.

In terms of finding stuff later, Facebook's search capability is actually quite good at finding past posts/conversations, but by default it searches across Facebook. You can then filter the search results to include only the Crosley group (it's this additional step that makes it hard to use, I think).

As you come across things that you think you'll want to find again later, FB has a "Save Post" feature that's very useful. You can categorize your saved items (e.g., I have a "Crosley" collection) and easily get back to them later.

I totally agree that one of the most frustrating "features" of Facebook is its insistence on never showing you the same thing twice. So, once you see something and it gets away, it can be really difficult to find again. :-/

-Bob

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 1:33 PM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
I'm finding that the Facebook group has lots of great photos and dialog. This discussion board does as well, but there seems to be a lot more activity on Facebook recently. (Am I wrong?)
Any advice for using Facebook as a reference? There is a lot of good info out there that I may not need now but may later...and it rolls off and away.

I think my biggest worry is asking a question that was already answered before....but not being able to tell.

Jim Bollman

The Crosley-Gang can be read in a browser also and many members forget that it is there, with lots of additional information in the Files and Photos section.

Jim...

On Feb 4, 2020, at 3:37 PM, Bob H. <bob@...> wrote:

[...]

All these responses were very helpful, thank you. I've given myself some new goals in how I participate. (Crosley chat, search and save on FB, electronic notebook, and of course the annual meet.)Thanks too for the "it's okay" to ask a question that may have been answered before. :-/

parkhunter@...

Actually, one of the things I appreciate about Crosley folks is their patience and encouragement when newbies ask questions. Most other car groups in part of tend to get rather crusty and curt after a while. The Crosley community’s attitude is part of what keeps this a growing and thriving corner of the hobby.

Enjoy!

Park