Topics

Signal indicator in dash

crosleyshortsport

I need help, I can not figure out this small problem. When I installed a new wiring harness in my super sport 18 years ago, my turn signal indicator light worked fine. Two years ago my signals stopped working, so I purchased a Napa 535 heavy duty flasher can. My signals work fine, however my indicator light will not work. I cleaned up my grounds thinking it must be the problem, still no light. I ran a hot wire clip to the indicator wire and it lights up nice and bright. Has something changed in the make up of the new 535 flasher cans? Anyone else had this same problem?
    Jeffrey

crosleyshortsport

I have solved the mystery behind the turn signal indicator light not working. The new 535 flasher cans from napa and any other company using the number 535 use a transistor to transfer power to the in dash indicator light. The old style tung-sol  #P229D uses a thermal connection to power the indicator light. I purchased one online and PRESTO, it works just like it did 20 years ago when I restored my super sport. I believe the transistor can not work with our positive ground system. I have been goofing around since last summer thinking something was not grounded properly. Small problem, I realize, but I like everything to work.
    Jeffrey Ackerman

On Mar 10, 2017 10:12 AM, "crosleyshortsport" <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:
I need help, I can not figure out this small problem. When I installed a new wiring harness in my super sport 18 years ago, my turn signal indicator light worked fine. Two years ago my signals stopped working, so I purchased a Napa 535 heavy duty flasher can. My signals work fine, however my indicator light will not work. I cleaned up my grounds thinking it must be the problem, still no light. I ran a hot wire clip to the indicator wire and it lights up nice and bright. Has something changed in the make up of the new 535 flasher cans? Anyone else had this same problem?
    Jeffrey

crosleyshortsport

You will spend $25 bucks on the tung-sol

On Mar 30, 2017 5:35 PM, "crosleyshortsport" <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:
[...]

L.E. Hardee

Good to know.  Transistors and diodes are definitely one directional current flow devices.   Glad you figured this out and shared to save us the save grief in the future.

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 6:59 PM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:
[...]

Butch

Why spend $25 on one? Service Motors' last price sheet (website), has them listed for $5.75. I don't know if they've gone up that much or not.

Butch