Topics

Side one piece windows on a 1950 CD

Hello, So I have broken 3 replacement windows so far in 4 years on my Crosley. They crack in the front corner.  One broke today! So, has anyone replaced them with plastic like Plexiglass or lexan. The Glass cost  85.00 each time they break. Also, once they have the "crack" they are VERY hard to roll down, up is no problem. Any ideas?
Frank
Crosleygarage.com

Tim Hamblen

Did you put in new run channels. That's the felt like channels the glass goes up and down in.. Putting new glass in old run channels is guaranteed to break glass..
As a young man I must have broken a dozen glass because I did not put in new channel. Also, if the channels are new or old, look up in that corner and see if a screw head is rubbing the glass. Screws are used to hold the channel in and a screw head will break glass in a New York minute. I never screw the channel in but glue it in.

Tim Hamblen

I said up and down but even if they are sliding windows, same things apply.

L.E. Hardee

I have zero experience with the pne piece roll up window, but the design was short lived for a reason.  I have heard that it gave trouble from the beginning.  As to the use of plastic glass to solve the problem of breakage, it may help but you will have to contend with scratches on that plastic as it cranked up and down.  Have you tried lubricating the glass channel to ease the stress on the glass as it is cranked up and down?  There are several products in the marketplace for that purpose.

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 6:45 PM Tim Hamblen via groups.io <flinttim=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Did you put in new run channels. That's the felt like channels the glass goes up and down in.. Putting new glass in old run channels is guaranteed to break glass..
As a young man I must have broken a dozen glass because I did not put in new channel. Also, if the channels are new or old, look up in that corner and see if a screw head is rubbing the glass. Screws are used to hold the channel in and a screw head will break glass in a New York minute. I never screw the channel in but glue it in.

Hello, thanks for the reply. I have new channels and the glass is the correct size. It seems they crack in the corner where the glass goes up boy 2 inches then changed direction. I use silicone glue to hold the glass in the channel.
Frank

[...]

Richard Williams

I put all new glass in my 51 panel. 0ne of the problems I have was the channel now is not as wide as the older channel. so I put glass lub on it but it is still hard to roll up and down. But no breakage. Look for the channel screws from the old channeling. Rich W.

On Sunday, June 21, 2020, 05:59:06 PM PDT, frank via groups.io <thing73@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I check for the screw.
Frank

[...]

Steve

One thing I have not seen asked in this thread is whether this is the early roll up window with full glass or the later roll up with the false wing vent. The early full glass slants at the front and the latter is rectangular.  The early roll ups were very problematic.  The glass was too heavy for the mechanism and windows would not stay up. Also because of the shape, the front of the glass has little to no support when the window is not fully up. Slamming the door and just driving around with the windows down creates stress on the glass.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

[...]

I worked at company that made glass channels for new cars in the 90's.  The fuzzy hairy stuff that the glass rubbed against as it went up and down was called flock.  All the new channels were sprayed with a glass lubricant at the factory.  I forget what the name was, Crotalox or something like that.  We bought it in 55 gallon drums so I doubt the exact product is available at your auto parts store.  I looked on line to see if I could find it but maybe I didn't remember the name close enough.   But during my google search, I found several available products that should work.  If a factory lubes the new channels to ease glass movement in new cars, maybe we old car restorers should do the same.

On Sunday, June 21, 2020, 05:59:06 PM PDT, frank via groups.io <thing73=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Ed Limke

Have you checked the thickness off the glass?

[...]

Hello, yes, on piece glass.
Frank

[...]

Thanks for that information.
Frank

[...]