Topics

Side draft carb on a Crosley

flinttim@...

Here's one for the gurus here. My new Guppy car (see this issue of the Quarterly) has the hood so close to the stock Tillotson that I cannot put an air cleaner on it. Just the way it was built,It would be fairly easy to alter an aluminum intake(I have a couple) to accept a side draft carb. Would it work or has anyone done a Mikuni carb to a Crosley and if so which Mikuni worked or would work ?

sunivroc@...

I'd love to hear of any Crosleys fitted with Mikuni carbs. My H-mod was once fitted with a pair of Mikunis -- but the engine was long-gone before I acquired the car. (I heard about the fitting of the Mikunis from a friend of the car's builder.)

Like you, my car doesn't have enough room for a downdraft setup. We ended up adapting a Sprite manifold with a pair of SUs. And I'm often told that I should change that setup for a pair of Webers.

sunivroc@...

This is the current setup -- with the twin SUs, and a custom exhaust to clear the intake manifold and SUs.

flinttim@...

I'm not really wanting the hotrod the engine as such, just match up a side draft carb that will work as well or better than the down draft Tilley.. As many applications out there using a Mikuni there should be one that matches up CFM wise. Fabricating  something that would adapt the stock manifold should be pretty straight forward. A friend in the marine and atv repair business thought at first glance the carb from a Yamaha Blaze might be a candidate. Don't know, just looking for some input.

"Gary" <m1911bldr@...>

Thundermug has a 40 DCOE Weber with a custom two-runner manifold. It works wonderfully.

I'm not really wanting the hotrod the engine as such, just match up a side draft carb that will work as well or better than the down draft Tilley.. As many applications out there using a Mikuni there should be one that matches up CFM wise. Fabricating  something that would adapt the stock manifold should be pretty straight forward. A friend in the marine and atv repair business thought at first glance the carb from a Yamaha Blaze might be a candidate. Don't know, just looking for some input.

Jim Bollman <Jim.Bollman@...>

I would think a Yamaha Blaze carb might be to small. How about the dual Zenith side drafts they used on the later Crosley based boat engines. You might still need some mods since most were meant to work on a vertical engine. If you got one from a Fageol or Crofton boat engine they would be appropriate for the size of your engine. I may have a set of the carbs in my Hershey stuff, mine may be off a Homelite (I would have to check) so maybe one could be re-jeted to work if the CFM is adequate, I don't know if I have a manifold.

Jim...

On Mar 31, 2016, at 7:10 AM, flinttim@... [Crosley_Gang] <Crosley_Gang@...> wrote:

I'm not really wanting the hotrod the engine as such, just match up a side draft carb that will work as well or better than the down draft Tilley.. As many applications out there using a Mikuni there should be one that matches up CFM wise. Fabricating  something that would adapt the stock manifold should be pretty straight forward. A friend in the marine and atv repair business thought at first glance the carb from a Yamaha Blaze might be a candidate. Don't know, just looking for some input.

flinttim@...

I have actually been contacted by an individual who has a Fageol intake and Zenith side drafts with linkage for sale. BUT, will that work with the stock Crosley exhaust manifold  ? Are theZeniths hard to rebuild and are parts actually available ? I don't want to change to some sort of custom exhaust header.

Jim Bollman <Jim.Bollman@...>

I just dug around and tried a Fageol manifold that was intended for vertical use on a bare block and a stock exhaust manifold and it doesn't fit. If it was mirrored top to bottom it might be close. You would have to go with tube exhaust header or a boat water cooled exhaust header that would be really ugly. Back to the drawing board. I have seen tube intake manifolds and that might get you the clearance. How much space is there really between the top of the carb and the hood? There is a very low profile cleaner (sort of) that was also used on some boat engines. It has some metal fins that you can see dim light through so it would only take out the big chunks. I think it is more of a flame arrester than a filter. The one I have was made for a 1 7/8" diameter throat. I have attached pictures.

Jim...

On Mar 31, 2016, at 9:18 AM, flinttim@... [Crosley_Gang] <Crosley_Gang@...> wrote:

I have actually been contacted by an individual who has a Fageol intake and Zenith side drafts with linkage for sale. BUT, will that work with the stock Crosley exhaust manifold  ? Are theZeniths hard to rebuild and are parts actually available ? I don't want to change to some sort of custom exhaust header.

flinttim@...

I have 1/2" Jim. What I have now and it works OK is , I cut the base off an old air cleaner that I had in some junk box, that had the proper OD for the air horn of the Tilly. I cut off everything but the base, rivted a piece of aluminum screen across it and then glued a piece of  1/4 " foam on top that. Works great, looks like crap,LOL. At this point I think what I might do is get a bad Mikuni of the proper cfm from my friend and use it to mock up a fabrication on one of my aluminum intakes. If I get that work OK I can then go all in on a new carb. Any Mikuni that feeds a single barrel engine in the 750cc range should be OK.

flinttim@...

Let me ask this, are the Zenith carbs any good ? Maybe it would be easier to adapt a Zenith side draft to my intake.I know I had a Cub Farmall with a stock carb ( I think it was an updraft) and most owners of those put Zenith on them as they were supposed to be better. I sold the tractor before going that far.Are there Zeniths side drafts big enough for a one carb app.?

David Reina <reinadesigns@...>

My first Crosley had an Aerojet motor wIth twin Zeniths. I thought they worked pretty well although I don't know about using only one.
Dave
51 SS

Sent from my iPhone

Butch <butch46988@...>

Tim,

From my former customers, the Zeniths work quite well on the boat engines.

I've not rebuilt any myself, so I have no first hand info for you there.

When we owned Service Motors, we did have kits for them, I assume that Dale still carries  them.

Butch

On 3/31/2016 9:18 AM, flinttim@... [Crosley_Gang] wrote:

I have actually been contacted by an individual who has a Fageol intake and Zenith side drafts with linkage for sale. BUT, will that work with the stock Crosley exhaust manifold  ? Are theZeniths hard to rebuild and are parts actually available ? I don't want to change to some sort of custom exhaust header.

Avast logo

David Reina <reinadesigns@...>

There must have been some horizontal Zenith carb manifolds because that is what was on my first Hot Shot.  They didn’t have accelerator pumps and it was one of my first cars so maybe I didn’t know better but I drove the car up the NYS thruway and used it at college for a few years.  It seemed pretty good to me.

Dave

David Reina Designs, Inc.
245 Kent Ave.
Brooklyn, NY  11249
phone: 718 486-0262
fax: 718 599-7857

On Mar 31, 2016, at 10:30 PM, Butch butch46988@... [Crosley_Gang] <Crosley_Gang@...> wrote:

Tim,

From my former customers, the Zeniths work quite well on the boat engines.

I've not rebuilt any myself, so I have no first hand info for you there.

When we owned Service Motors, we did have kits for them, I assume that Dale still carries  them.

Butch

On 3/31/2016 9:18 AM, flinttim@... [Crosley_Gang] wrote:

I have actually been contacted by an individual who has a Fageol intake and Zenith side drafts with linkage for sale. BUT, will that work with the stock Crosley exhaust manifold  ? Are theZeniths hard to rebuild and are parts actually available ? I don't want to change to some sort of custom exhaust header.

Avast logo

Hi and Happy New Year. I recognize this thread is a couple of years old but I'm just starting on an HMod project and I wonder if you could elaborate on what was required to adpt the Sprite manafold since Ihave one and want to do that. Any pictures, descriptions of the process or drawings would be appreciated.

David

I assume that you’re talking about the intake manifold (there’s no using the exhaust manifold).  All that’s needed is to open the mounting holes a bit and trim the flanges a little.  Most people use a Cannon aluminum manifold for the Weber 40DCOE.  I had one of those break, and I now use a steel manifold from Maniflow.  In the pictures attached, the manifold without the carb is the steel Maniflow, and the one with the Weber is the Cannon.

David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10