Topics

Shocks

Tom Sodaro

Hello all, Trying to find shocks for my 1959 Crofton Brawny Bug. They are like the crosley in size. Any idea on what I can use. I don't have them in front of me, but I think they are about 13" closed and 17.5" open. Thanks Tom S

crosleyshortsport

Tom, it has been many years since I have needed shocks for any of my Crosleys, however I remember that it was very easy matching up the proper size at Napa. As I recall they had them for me the next day.

On Jun 10, 2017 9:40 AM, "Tom Sodaro" <tomteach2@...> wrote:
Hello all, Trying to find shocks for my 1959 Crofton Brawny Bug. They are like the crosley in size. Any idea on what I can use. I don't have them in front of me, but I think they are about 13" closed and 17.5" open. Thanks Tom S

Jim Bollman

From what others have told me getting the size right isn't the problem. Most shocks that fit are for cars twice to three times heavier so they ride is bad.

Brian Dlapa

 I went to napa  they matched up utv shocks that are not stiff like auto shocks for my farm o road

On Sun Jun 11 2017 19:01:13 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time), Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

From what others have told me getting the size right isn't the problem. Most shocks that fit are for cars twice to three times heavier so they ride is bad.

Jim Bollman

Do you have a part number for the FOR shocks?

Jim...

On Jun 12, 2017, at 8:24 AM, Brian Dlapa via Groups.Io <treestumpbvd@...> wrote:

 I went to napa  they matched up utv shocks that are not stiff like auto shocks for my farm o road

On Sun Jun 11 2017 19:01:13 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time), Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

From what others have told me getting the size right isn't the problem. Most shocks that fit are for cars twice to three times heavier so they ride is bad.

Herrick Bulger

Edited

I don't know what your mounting ends look like . But my Crosley super sport back shocks were obtained from anything auto .
gabriel classics 82007 ,  11.37 " to  18.23 ". They fit a  1963 International Scout front end .

Gary Cochrane

My SS has a VERY stiff ride.  I am using the shocks that Yankee sells.  If anyone has a softer (lighter?) shock I would really appreciate wher you got it and a part # if possible.   Gary Cochrane  CA

On Monday, June 12, 2017 8:03 AM, Herrick Bulger <htbulger@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
I don't know what your mounting ends look like . But my Crosley super sport back shocks were obtained from anything auto .
gabriel classics 82007 ,  11.37 " to  18.23 ". They fit a  1963 International Scout front end .

Herrick Bulger

I got Gabriel classics for my SS so far I'm pleased #82007 for the rear and #82026 for the front.

My SS has a VERY stiff ride.  I am using the shocks that Yankee sells.  If anyone has a softer (lighter?) shock I would really appreciate wher you got it and a part # if possible.   Gary Cochrane  CA

On Monday, June 12, 2017 8:03 AM, Herrick Bulger <htbulger@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
I don't know what your mounting ends look like . But my Crosley super sport back shocks were obtained from anything auto .
gabriel classics 82007 ,  11.37 " to  18.23 ". They fit a  1963 International Scout front end .

Butch

Most modern shocks are gas pressurized and virtually all modern cars are several times heavier that the Crosleys. That leads to a harsh ride and also increased frame stress.

Although far from perfect, the old, non-pressurized shocks are a much better alternative, if & when you can find some that will fit.

Butch