From: Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...>
To: Crosley-Gang <Crosley-Gang@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Mar 19, 2017 3:12 pm
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] Service Motors /Goodyear Hawley brakes

Some may have seen this before but it's a new one for me
Anyone know if Ed Herzog had them cast or a later Service Motors owner ? This one appears New Old Stock. Not a sign of grease in it, clean as a pin. The inside is built from the same type parts you can buy from Service today to rebuild disc brakes.

Tim Hamblen

So it was under Ed's ownership that the current system of rebuilding them took place. The thing came with a new emergency brake rod in it so I suppose the thought was to grind the weld off the old one and weld the old arm on the new rod.I'm thinking of doing an article for the Quarterly on rebuilding the disc brakes. A lot of people put them down even to the point of replacing them with 9" Bendix (which is getting darn near impossible to find the parts). But I find then actually rather simple to rebuild. Yes, you will need access to a lathe but for most Crosley folks that seems to be doable.

ldrmercuryman@...

The only problem I have encountered in rebuilding the calipers is the round o rings that come with kits, the original had square rubber rings that provided more contact with the cylinder in the caliper and therefore, did not pop so easily in a crash brake situation.

So it was under Ed's ownership that the current system of rebuilding them took place. The thing came with a new emergency brake rod in it so I suppose the thought was to grind the weld off the old one and weld the old arm on the new rod.I'm thinking of doing an article for the Quarterly on rebuilding the disc brakes. A lot of people put them down even to the point of replacing them with 9" Bendix (which is getting darn near impossible to find the parts). But I find then actually rather simple to rebuild. Yes, you will need access to a lathe but for most Crosley folks that seems to be doable.

Tim Hamblen

Something like this ?

http://www.rocketseals.com/square-cut-o-rings/

ldrmercuryman@...

Tim, as long as you can get the right inside dia, outside dia and thickness correct, they should hold up better under stress than o rings.