Topics

Serial #

Not sure why this was done. CIBA engine. Anybody ever seen this? I assume not factory.

L.E. Hardee

I offer one theory.  In my state (NC), the car vin was listed as the motor number on the title prior to 1953.  Maybe someone changed out a motor and made an attempt to match the new motor's number to the number listed on the title?????

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 8:06 PM Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:
Not sure why this was done. CIBA engine. Anybody ever seen this? I assume not factory.

Spock Arnold

Just a thought,  I am far from an expert. The serial number is pre 22,000 without a prefix.  Perhaps an early CC engine returned due to failure and reused?

On Dec 28, 2019 8:06 PM, Jim Murphy <lftrn97@...> wrote:
Not sure why this was done. CIBA engine. Anybody ever seen this? I assume not factory.

If it was a return or exchange I assume this was standard practice.  I just had never seen in but I've only had about  6 or 7 blocks over time.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Jim Bollman

I have seen similar SN destruction at least one other time. The factory seem to be happy just stamping an R by the serial number so I don't think the factory did it during a rebuild. I believe L.E. Hardee may have the answer. If your car title uses the engine number to ID the car you would have to do something like this to keep the title legal. I use to have a Crosley title that used the engine number and had the matching crankcase. I kept them separate from the rest of the stash for years but eventually they went in different directions. I didn't think anyone would build an engine to use the title but I thought the crankcase may be enough proof to get a new title issued to a cars serial number.