Topics

Roto Caps don't turn

Al Leach <al.leach3@...>

I have just posted the information below in an email attempting to contact Crosley members.
Hello All.
I am a new member located in Venice Florida.
I'm beginning to assemble a Crosley engine for a friend who is a member of the Crosley Club.
Right now he is restoring a 52 or 53 Station Wagon.
This question is about the Roto Caps on the exhaust valves. This engine has Roto Caps on all the valves.
They don't all rotate in both directions, some turn only in one direction and some don't turn yet.
I've been soaking them in WD40 and on some I've used PB Blaster to loosen them up.
What's the best way you have found to free them up.
Thank you for your help.
Al

Spock Arnold

Sorry I can't answer your question Al  however I am in Palm Bay about 3 hours from you.   I have been working with Daryll Zeran on getting the Florida Region re organized.  If I can help in any other way, please contact me. I am currently working on a 50 Hotshot . Got lots of spares too.
Dave Anspach

On Apr 1, 2018 12:03 PM, Al Leach <al.leach3@...> wrote:
I have just posted the information below in an email attempting to contact Crosley members.
Hello All.
I am a new member located in Venice Florida.
I'm beginning to assemble a Crosley engine for a friend who is a member of the Crosley Club.
Right now he is restoring a 52 or 53 Station Wagon.
This question is about the Roto Caps on the exhaust valves. This engine has Roto Caps on all the valves.
They don't all rotate in both directions, some turn only in one direction and some don't turn yet.
I've been soaking them in WD40 and on some I've used PB Blaster to loosen them up.
What's the best way you have found to free them up.
Thank you for your help.
Al

Jim Bollman

Welcome, sorry for the delay on your postings but new members are moderated to cut down on spam postings and know one was online to approve them till after church and Easter Lunch :-) (good think I didn't take that nap). Future messages should post fairly quickly.

I would not soak in WD40, if you do clean them well in kerosene before installing. WD40 is a water displacement product and over time can gum up things. PB Blaster or other true penetrating oils are fine. I use a mix of 50% Kerosene and 50% Marvel Mystery Oil to soak them. On the other hand Service Motors has brand new ones for $1.50 ea so you may not want to spend to much time freeing them up. They also have service manuals that I highly recommend if you don't have one. There are some clearance that are very specfic to Crosley that can cause damage to the crank and tower shaft if not done right.
https://servicemotors.net/product/roto-cap/ Dave Edwards Crosley Parts have good used ones for 50 cents a piece and sets of 4 for the exhaust valves new for $5. Here is a vendors list with contact info. http://crosleyautoclub.com/PartsSuppliers.html

Crosley stop car production in July 1952 so Wagon must be a 52 to or older.

Hope this helps.

Jim...

On Apr 1, 2018, at 12:03 PM, Al Leach <al.leach3@...> wrote:

I have just posted the information below in an email attempting to contact Crosley members.
Hello All.
I am a new member located in Venice Florida.
I'm beginning to assemble a Crosley engine for a friend who is a member of the Crosley Club.
Right now he is restoring a 52 or 53 Station Wagon.
This question is about the Roto Caps on the exhaust valves. This engine has Roto Caps on all the valves.
They don't all rotate in both directions, some turn only in one direction and some don't turn yet.
I've been soaking them in WD40 and on some I've used PB Blaster to loosen them up.
What's the best way you have found to free them up.
Thank you for your help.
Al

Al Leach <al.leach3@...>

Hello Jim,

I understand about approving new members.
Appreciate your input on the WD40. I'll flush them with PB Blaster and soak them in oil before assembly.​
I do have a manual with those very tight clearances listed.
Good to know how/where to get new parts and Roto Caps for $1.50 each that's a bargain.

I hope to do some measuring tomorrow and honing the cylinders and maybe start lapping the vales in. Interesting they prescribe clearances plus provide shims in addition.

Thank you again Jim,
Al

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 4:37 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
[...]

Butch

Al,

Someone has been into your engine before, at least once. No surprises found there.

Originally, Crosley used two long valve springs and no spacers or Roto Caps. Then they added Roto Caps under the exhaust springs, so they had a short spring on the exhaust and a long spring on the intake.

Later, they added a spacer on the intake and ran they same short spring, on both the exhaust and the intake.

Crosley never ran the Roto Caps on the intake valves.

So if you have some that appear to be stuck permanently, just run those on the intakes, but be SURE that the exhausts have good, functional Roto Caps on them.

Butch

On 4/1/2018 9:23 PM, Al Leach wrote:
Hello Jim,

I understand about approving new members.
Appreciate your input on the WD40. I'll flush them with PB Blaster and soak them in oil before assembly.​
I do have a manual with those very tight clearances listed.
Good to know how/where to get new parts and Roto Caps for $1.50 each that's a bargain.

I hope to do some measuring tomorrow and honing the cylinders and maybe start lapping the vales in. Interesting they prescribe clearances plus provide shims in addition.

Thank you again Jim,
Al

Al Leach <al.leach3@...>

Butch​, thanks for the information

I must clarify befog going any further as I am new to Crosley and I'm assembling an engine for a friend.

The engine is a Fageol 44.  So how much does that change things from a Crosley engine?

We did get eight Roto Caps that turn easily in both directions so we will have a good one for each valve.

The valve springs for all valves, all using Roto Caps, measure 100 lbs. at   1  7/32. Twice the tension as the Crosley specification.

Is that normal foe a Fageol engine?

Thanks again for the info.
Al