Topics

Rod Bearing Fun

Mike S

While pulling the oil pump for a possible rebuild, I was fingering the rod bearings & thought that a couple of them "felt" loose.  I pulled #3 and am not pleased with the way it looks.  Besides all the speckles on the surface, the bearing has a pronounced "copper" look to it (but I've not been around Crosley bearings before....just giant studebaker ones).  Tomorrow I'll plasti-gage it to see what the clearance really is.  The crank journal looks smooth with only a couple tiny marks.  

The thing that really puzzles me is this motor was very quiet with no rattling or knocking.  What options are there for replacement bearings?
Mike S

dale@servicemotors.net

Bearings are easy to get
Service motors has them 866-449-0029.

On Jan 15, 2020, at 4:29 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

While pulling the oil pump for a possible rebuild, I was fingering the rod bearings & thought that a couple of them "felt" loose.  I pulled #3 and am not pleased with the way it looks.  Besides all the speckles on the surface, the bearing has a pronounced "copper" look to it (but I've not been around Crosley bearings before....just giant studebaker ones).  Tomorrow I'll plasti-gage it to see what the clearance really is.  The crank journal looks smooth with only a couple tiny marks.  

The thing that really puzzles me is this motor was very quiet with no rattling or knocking.  What options are there for replacement bearings?
Mike S

Attachments:

Mike S

Are undersizes available?  I'll plastigage all the journals tomorrow & see what I'm looking at.

Mike S

Hmmm...looking thru the shop manual, there are no specs listed for the diameters of the crank journals.  Can the limits be found anywhere?