Topics

Rod Bearing and oil pump Fun

Butch

Mike,

I'll try to answer all of your questions, in one reply.

There are several different versions of oil pumps used in Crosleys, as you've found out, at least one version has no bushings and is pretty much non-serviceable. Plus it had the least volume capacity. Find a later style core and rebuild it. The upper bushing, on the newer style pumps, can readily be seen, under the external drive gear.
The basic rebuild isn't hard, I've done many dozens of them. There are some "upgrade tricks", that are a little more complicated, require some machine work and are not really required for "normal" Crosley engines and Crosley driving.

Rod bearings, there were "copper based" rod bearings, used in the Crosley engines, the military especially used them. The fact that yours shows all copper, with no tin/lead Babbitt color showing, makes me think that this might be your case. Plasti-gage is your friend.

The crankshaft specs are: all of the rods and the front 4 mains are 1.375 and the rear main is 1.500. They may be listed in the manual as inches, rather than decimals. I don't recall and my manual isn't close by.

Yes, oversize/undersize bearings are available. When we owned Service Motors, we had new rod and main bearings made in: Standard, 0.010, 0.020, 0.030 and 0.040. In addition to those new ones, there are still some Old Stock bearings out there in 0.001, 0.002 and 0.005. If you find some, check the condition carefully. They are OLD, and have been stored in less than ideal conditions, but many are still quite serviceable, especially for Crosley service.

If I've missed anything, feel free to ask. You can also drop me an e-mail, butch46988@.... I can answer more there, in more detail, without taking up board space.

Butch

On 1/16/2020 10:05 AM, Mike S wrote:
Hmmm...looking thru the shop manual, there are no specs listed for the diameters of the crank journals.  Can the limits be found anywhere?
_._,_._,_