Topics

Review of New Crosley FarmOroad book by Don Narus

Jim Bollman

Some of you may have seen the new FarmOroad book available for $8.95 from Amazon or on eBay for $8.95 with $3.74 shipping. I didn't expect to learn much but since I had heard nothing about the book coming out, I wanted to read it to see if it was worth recommending to the Crosley World. I got the book yesterday afternoon. In a 5 minute flip through I already knew it was going to be bad. I read it last night it didn't take long it is only 59 pages long with lots of pictures. Here is the review I just submitted to Amazon, it will be interesting if they will let an honest one star review be the first review of the book.

The short review is don't bother buying this book. Many errors, and not much information.

The long review. I knew buying the book the it was only 60 pages long but thought that was enough to give a nice overview on a vehicle I have owned for over 20 years that I could refer to new collectors. Let me break down the 60 pages. Intro, acknowledgements (this is repeated again later), overview of Powel Crosley Jr's life, overview of the prewar cars, overview of war production, overview of post war cars, description of Willys Jeep, and finally on page 26  we start hearing about the FarmOroad. This would be a nice intro to the book if it was a longer book, but nearly half the pages have already been used. We then have 13  pages on the FarmOroad, lots of pictures. Another 10 pages on the Crofton a FarmOroad like product made after Crosley went out of production, lots of pictures, again a nice add but nearly as long as the portion on FORs. Then we have 6 pages on the M422 Mighty Mite that had nothing to do with Crosley at all other than it was a small jeep like vehicle. A repeat page on  acknowledgements/references and the book finishes up with 2 pages about the author and his other books. That gets us to 59 pages and the 60th page is blank.

All that might not be too bad accept the book has many errors, calling modified vehicles new models or prototypes , some pictures mislabeled and many pictures are stretched and distorted to fill the space available rather than keeping the aspect ratio locked. Much speculation by the author to explain photos. Outright wrong information. Save your money and use google to get your information on the FarmOroad, that is how the author admits he wrote the book and got most of the photos.

The book could be a lot better with an hour or so of corrections and fixing the photos. Still not much of a book on FarmOroad, that could have been improved if he had contacted the club for more material and added more pages so that at least half the content was about the FOR.

Jerry Summey

Thank's Jim, I hope that Amazon will take heed!

In a message dated 5/4/2019 10:40:19 AM Eastern Standard Time, Jim@... writes:

Some of you may have seen the new FarmOroad book available for $8.95 from Amazon or on eBay for $8.95 with $3.74 shipping. I didn't expect to learn much but since I had heard nothing about the book coming out, I wanted to read it to see if it was worth recommending to the Crosley World. I got the book yesterday afternoon. In a 5 minute flip through I already knew it was going to be bad. I read it last night it didn't take long it is only 59 pages long with lots of pictures. Here is the review I just submitted to Amazon, it will be interesting if they will let an honest one star review be the first review of the book.

The short review is don't bother buying this book. Many errors, and not much information.

The long review. I knew buying the book the it was only 60 pages long but thought that was enough to give a nice overview on a vehicle I have owned for over 20 years that I could refer to new collectors. Let me break down the 60 pages. Intro, acknowledgements (this is repeated again later), overview of Powel Crosley Jr's life, overview of the prewar cars, overview of war production, overview of post war cars, description of Willys Jeep, and finally on page 26  we start hearing about the FarmOroad. This would be a nice intro to the book if it was a longer book, but nearly half the pages have already been used. We then have 13  pages on the FarmOroad, lots of pictures. Another 10 pages on the Crofton a FarmOroad like product made after Crosley went out of production, lots of pictures, again a nice add but nearly as long as the portion on FORs. Then we have 6 pages on the M422 Mighty Mite that had nothing to do with Crosley at all other than it was a small jeep like vehicle. A repeat page on  acknowledgements/references and the book finishes up with 2 pages about the author and his other books. That gets us to 59 pages and the 60th page is blank.

All that might not be too bad accept the book has many errors, calling modified vehicles new models or prototypes , some pictures mislabeled and many pictures are stretched and distorted to fill the space available rather than keeping the aspect ratio locked. Much speculation by the author to explain photos. Outright wrong information. Save your money and use google to get your information on the FarmOroad, that is how the author admits he wrote the book and got most of the photos.

The book could be a lot better with an hour or so of corrections and fixing the photos. Still not much of a book on FarmOroad, that could have been improved if he had contacted the club for more material and added more pages so that at least half the content was about the FOR.

crosleyshortsport

Jim,  Thank you for the review and saving us from disappointment.

On Sat, May 4, 2019, 1:48 PM Jerry Summey via Groups.Io <gaelecsol=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank's Jim, I hope that Amazon will take heed!

In a message dated 5/4/2019 10:40:19 AM Eastern Standard Time, Jim@... writes: