Topics

Restoration advice

Joe Brownsberger

Hi everyone, I am looking to move forward in the restoration process and I think im ready to pull the body off the chassis. I'm looking for insight and advice as to things I've missed or things I'll need to know moving forward. All that I'very done so far is remove windows and seats, nothing else. I'll have more pictures if needed.

Mike

You might want to look into adding some door bars&cross bracing. My floor and rockers need replacing so I had to brace everything up before pulling body.

On Aug 26, 2018, at 11:55 AM, Joe Brownsberger <jbraunsberg@...> wrote:

Hi everyone, I am looking to move forward in the restoration process and I think im ready to pull the body off the chassis. I'm looking for insight and advice as to things I've missed or things I'll need to know moving forward. All that I'very done so far is remove windows and seats, nothing else. I'll have more pictures if needed.

Attachments:

crosleyshortsport

Joe,  Looks like you have a pretty straight wagon to start with. I started my '48 wagon 25 months ago. I will post a puc for you. I recommend pulling the steering wheel next, then the radiator and grill. That way the steering box and column will pull out through the grill area. Remember to put it back in before the radiator and grill when at that point. There are two body bolts at the rear lower gate that go into the frame, three more at each door sill that go into the frame outriggers. And two more that tie the fenders to the frame on each side of the engine bay. 12 total. When I removed the rear side glass, I did not realize the frames came out. There were six tiny screws holding them in, they were put through the weatherstrip into the frame and body. Though I am not a professional at all, I have been playing with Crosley for 47 years. Contact me anytime.  Jeffrey

On Aug 26, 2018 3:02 PM, "Mike via Groups.Io" <seller432=aim.com@groups.io> wrote:
You might want to look into adding some door bars&cross bracing. My floor and rockers need replacing so I had to brace everything up before pulling body.

On Aug 26, 2018, at 11:55 AM, Joe Brownsberger <jbraunsberg@...> wrote:

Hi everyone, I am looking to move forward in the restoration process and I think im ready to pull the body off the chassis. I'm looking for insight and advice as to things I've missed or things I'll need to know moving forward. All that I'very done so far is remove windows and seats, nothing else. I'll have more pictures if needed.

Attachments:

parkhunter@...

Jeffrey’s list of the body bolts is great. Also, take off the rockets before lifting the body - I learned the hard way while trying to reinstall my body that they don’t clear the frame outriggers.

Also, if you put a strap the the roof and try to lift, the A pillars may start to separate.

This was dumb. Don’t do it this way...

- Park

parkhunter@...

Rockers, not rockets. (Curse you, autocorrect!) This isn’t Janes Bond’s Crosley.

- Park

nobadrivers

Great and valuable information here!!!  Park,  if you don't recommend lifting with the strap from the roof what do you recommend?  A bunch of friends helping lift it off?  It's kind of hard to tell from the picture what's going on unless it's just the two guys lifting the body or is it the two guys helping lift with the body strap?

parkhunter@...

I don’t have a good recommendation. By the time we discovered the strap was a bad idea, we had to improvise with two people teetering on stools who could barely support the car’s body. Then we discovered the rockers wouldn’t clear, prolonging our agony. We survived, but barely.

Probably four people could lift the body without too much trouble, but I’d recommend asking wiser heads on this list for their advice.

Good luck!

- Park

nobadrivers

Thank you for the good advice you gave us concerning the rocker panels and "A" pillars. This information can save other members the trouble that you experienced.  I also have a Ford Model Y English car and looking through the Model Y club forum I belong to it shows them lifting the body off using the automotive lift arms.  I have a lift and this is what I was going to do with my Crosley Wagon until you mentioned the pillars not being strong enough. I guess I will not use this method. It must be the Model Y A pillars are much stronger.  Maybe making some sort of struts or supports to attach along side of the pillars is the way to go so that the strap method or the lift arm method can still be used.

crosleyshortsport

Joe,  Good thing Park mentioned the rockers, I forgot that part. Also, I had built two large sawhorses on casters for the body. I am not kidding, my 14 year old daughter and I lifted the body on to the sawhorses.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018, 7:40 AM <parkhunter@...> wrote:
I don’t have a good recommendation. By the time we discovered the strap was a bad idea, we had to improvise with two people teetering on stools who could barely support the car’s body. Then we discovered the rockers wouldn’t clear, prolonging our agony. We survived, but barely.

Probably four people could lift the body without too much trouble, but I’d recommend asking wiser heads on this list for their advice.

Good luck!

- Park

Barry Smedley

I just used a cherry picker a 4x4 and chain. No problem.

   Barry Smedley

Thank you for the good advice you gave us concerning the rocker panels and "A" pillars. This information can save other members the trouble that you experienced.  I also have a Ford Model Y English car and looking through the Model Y club forum I belong to it shows them lifting the body off using the automotive lift arms.  I have a lift and this is what I was going to do with my Crosley Wagon until you mentioned the pillars not being strong enough. I guess I will not use this method. It must be the Model Y A pillars are much stronger.  Maybe making some sort of struts or supports to attach along side of the pillars is the way to go so that the strap method or the lift arm method can still be used.

Attachments:

This message contains confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any review, disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message. (English) Ce message contient des informations confidentielles destinées uniquement à l'usage du(des) destinataire(s) nommé(s) ci-dessus. Toute consultation, distribution, copie et utilisation du contenu de ce message est strictement prohibée. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, SVP avisez l'expéditeur par réponse immédiate et effacez le message original. (French)

Joe Brownsberger

Thank you all for the helpful tips.