Topics

Reproduction Flywheel Cover

Mike S

Getting back to the project of making some reproduction flywheel covers.  Got the front half pattern fine tuned (making 2 at a time) & just need to fine tune the back half pattern.  The originals are a deep draw stamping....I'm making these out of 3 pieces...front, back, & center filler piece (and there are brackets to be welded on too).  Wish me luck.

crosleyshortsport

Wow, nice work

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020, 1:53 PM Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
Getting back to the project of making some reproduction flywheel covers.  Got the front half pattern fine tuned (making 2 at a time) & just need to fine tune the back half pattern.  The originals are a deep draw stamping....I'm making these out of 3 pieces...front, back, & center filler piece (and there are brackets to be welded on too).  Wish me luck.

Mike S

A few more parts made today.  Will work up a welding jig tomorrow.  Got interrupted by another project when a friend had me work on his reenacting machine gun....

Gabriel Haddad

Looking good Mike. Keep us in the loop.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020, 6:30 PM Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:
A few more parts made today.  Will work up a welding jig tomorrow.  Got interrupted by another project when a friend had me work on his reenacting machine gun....

Attachments:

Plandersen

Looks great.  Come to Washington and I will let you work on my Crosley.  You look like a real craftsman.

On Feb 11, 2020, at 3:30 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

A few more parts made today.  Will work up a welding jig tomorrow.  Got interrupted by another project when a friend had me work on his reenacting machine gun....

Attachments:

L.E. Hardee

I think your fab work is tremendous.  But are used original flywheel covers that scarce to be worth such effort?  I am not trying to put down your work.  Really want to know the difficulty in finding them or their cost if you do find one used somewhere.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 8:27 PM Plandersen <pkandersen@...> wrote:
Looks great.  Come to Washington and I will let you work on my Crosley.  You look like a real craftsman.

On Feb 11, 2020, at 3:30 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

A few more parts made today.  Will work up a welding jig tomorrow.  Got interrupted by another project when a friend had me work on his reenacting machine gun....

Attachments:

Mike S

When we bought our '48 this past June, the cover was missing.  I was told that most of them got thrown a way back in the day and they were hard to find.  Fred loaned one to me to use as a pattern so I could make one.  I thought while I was at it, I would see if multiple copies could be made reasonably.  I retired in December and I enjoy metal working.  I did find an original cover about a month ago, so it basically took 6 months to find one, if that speaks to how rare they are.

David Reina

Hi Mike,

Nice work!  I’ve also tried reproducing a couple of items over the years.  At one point I made a few rear axle stabilizer bars for Hot Shot and Super Sports.  Then a few years ago I made a bunch of reproduction castings of the Motorola radio front for my friend Jak.  I know this work is all labor of love so thanks.

Regards,
Dave

David Reina Designs, Inc.
245 Kent Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11249
P: 718-486-0262
F: 718-599-7857

On Feb 11, 2020, at 6:30 PM, Mike S <miso7@...> wrote:

A few more parts made today.  Will work up a welding jig tomorrow.  Got interrupted by another project when a friend had me work on his reenacting machine gun.... <new parts.jpg>

parkhunter@...

I’ll certainly be interested if/when you start to sell these. In my experience, the covers are hard to find.

- Park

Me too!

On Feb 14, 2020, at 8:04 AM, parkhunter@... wrote:

I’ll certainly be interested if/when you start to sell these. In my experience, the covers are hard to find.

- Park

Tobby Alvestad

i have an original if interested, looks new.............. tobby 818-990-0590